Thursday, October 1, 2009

St. Therese of Lisieux, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

St. Therese, in her own words.

On Humility:

"Now, that I am about to appear before the good God, more than ever do I understand that there is but one thing necessary: to work solely for Him, and to do nothing for self or for creatures."

On Mortification:

"I had accustomed myself never to complain when anything of mine was taken; and when unjustly blamed, I chose rather to remain silent than to defend myself."

On Zeal:

A novice on her way to the laundry one day went at a slow pace through the garden looking at flowers as she passed. St. Therese, who followed walking quickly, soon overtook her and said: "Is this how one hastens who has children(souls) to support, for whose sustenance she is obliged to work..."

On Prayer:

"My whole strength lies in prayer and sacrifice, these are my invincible arms; they can move hearts far better than words. I know it from experience."

On Love:

"Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing."

On Answering Prayer:

Under what name should we pray to you when you are in Heaven, they asked. She answered humbly: "You will call me "little Therese."

"You will look down on us form the heights of Heaven, will you not"? they asked.
"No, I shall come down. After my death, I shall let fall a shower of roses."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!