Thursday, January 13, 2011

Offer it up to God

If, like me, you went to Catholic school in the 60's and 70's, you were probably advised at least once to offer some insult or injury up to God. So I'm going to offer nearly my entire day. The alarm went off sooner than I was ready for it, but hey, at least I was still alive to hear it, right? My appointment, part of a pre-employment physical for new my job, took 2 hours longer than it should have and the icing on the cake was that the doctor dilated my pupils. Even with sunglasses, this made driving in snow a joy. And the cherry on that icing? My husband lost track of time and sat waiting in the car with Sirius radio blaring and his headlights on and killed the battery, which meant having to wait for Triple A. At the risk of offending my gentle readers, it's times like this that make me want to refer to my marriage as a martyrdom. The man is on his own planet sometimes, and I'll leave it at that.

I didn't make it to Noon Mass as a result. I hadn't eaten this morning and I guess I could have really enhanced the sacrifice by waiting until I got back. Well, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak, so I didn't get there. I did, however, get to Adoration. I was so grateful to be there that I promised I wasn't going to let the usual things disturb me. Like the woman who could have sat anywhere but chose to sit directly behind me and breathe heavily down my neck as she was praying her Rosary out loud. Or the two women who came in and rattled their paper bags from the gift shop and then engaged in a therapy session with each other. Or the autistic man who started to set the chapel up for Vespers, banging doors, kneelers and anything else he touched, even though Vespers wasn't set to start for another 90 minutes.

At some point, I heard another two women come in and sit down and shortly thereafter, I heard one of them break down in heart-wrenching sobs. I have no idea why but I would imagine she had just suffered some loss in her life. She cried out loud that Christmas had been so difficult and she thought when it was over, she'd be better, but she's not. Her friend soothingly told her it was ok to cry, and then she said the Divine Mercy Chaplet for the both of them. As disruptive as it might have been, it wasn't. It was almost as though the Lord was letting me share what He hears all day long in that chapel. And, as I have mentioned before, it was also an opportunity to add someone to my prayer intentions. I don't need to know everything about everyone to know that everyone needs our prayers.

If I were to be totally honest, I would have to tell you that there was a time in my life when I secretly entertained the idea of joining a contemplative order. Obviously, that is not how my life panned out and I think that I am probably exactly where the Lord wants me to be. I might would have enjoyed life as a Poor Clare a little too much for it to have had much merit. As I was watching a show on a Benedictine Abbey on EWTN last week, I heard one of the monks talk about the gifts each person enters with. If a person enjoys cooking and wants to be the cook, that is the last job they'll be assigned, because the most important thing is that the person desire to be with and serve God, not that they want to be a cook in a monastery.

St. Therese made much spiritual use of everything available to her, emptying herself in the process so that she could be filled with Christ. How much use am I making of that which the Lord sends me? And do I accept it joyfully, or with a groan of "why, Lord?" Today, I confess it was more of the latter but I'll try to do better tomorrow. No time like the present though.

4 comments:

  1. AH! Sorry but first I have to laugh really loud because I feel the same way when someone sits really close to me in an empty church- and then usually does something that makes me want to jump our of my skin. I really did LOL! And I SO identify with the sort of day that is an end to end quest for a single moment of sanity. But yeah, I hear you, and I get the other side of it.
    My husband is an usher at the Academy of Music, and was kindly given two nice seats for Les Mis. last night. This was my THIRD time seeing it, and it still grabs me. The power of that one act of charity and forgiveness in the beginning sets off the entire story, and always makes me think how I could be doing that in small ways so many times when I do otherwise.
    So you and I both will do better tomorrow. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear friends.

    Yes, Kelly, it was LOL at first. I was like "what the heck, you have the entire chapel and you have to breathe down MY neck?" The whole car episode was LOL but not until well after it happened. My husband cringes when I say this, but I borrowed it from Father Corapi. To paraphrase, we all have our crosses, and sometimes, your cross is lying next to you at night. He means well, and we love him, but his absent-mindedness drives us all crazy.

    I have never seen Les Mis. I guess I should.
    You are in my prayers, too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to share an adoration time with a woman who sighed loudly for an hour every week. Oh, how I had to pray not to be annoyed with her! Someone breathing down my neck? I think that would push me over the edge! But what a wonderful thing to have so many people at adoration.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!