Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Men of Blood

This psalm makes me think of the slain journalist James Foley.  It is Psalm 25 in the the DR version of the Psalms and New Testament and it also part of what the priest prays at the offertory in the TLM while he washes his hands.  It seems he might have been freed if a hefty ransom would be paid to ISIS. Apparently this is the only way other captives escaped with their lives. 

Jim's family released the last letter they received  from their son. Well, not a letter one could hold in their hands but one they will treasure always in their hearts.  His captors confiscated any letter Jim attempted to write so when a fellow captive learned he would be released, Foley asked him to commit a letter to memory.  The letter is somewhat prescient because although he tries to remain upbeat and hopeful, he clearly knew time was running out - he wanted any money he might have left in his bank account to go to his brothers. 

I am keeping all captives in my prayers.  


Lord I love the house in which You dwell,
The tenting place of Your glory
Gather not my soul with sinners,
Nor with men of blood my life.
On their hands are crimes
And their right hands are full of bribes.
As for me I walk in integrity, 
Redeem me and be merciful
My foot stands on level ground. 
In the assemblies I will bless You oh Lord 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!