Wednesday, June 23, 2010

By Their Fruits Shall You Know Them


I often think about those who have little or no interest in their salvation and what their legacy will be. ( I am fully cognizant of the need for me to think about my own salvation, but still, it's hard not to be concerned about those who are away from the faith). What are the fruits of my labor? How well does my daily life adhere to the Gospel? Do I reflect Christ in all of my activities and encounters? Does the way I earn my living contradict in any way the teachings of the Church? Is the way I spend my free time indicative of someone who trusts in Jesus and desires union with Him? What is my effect on those around me? Do I abdicate my faith to fit in, or do I make every effort to be a suitable representative of Christ? Do I bring the level of discourse in others to a higher level, or do I allow myself to be dragged down?

A splitting headache caused me to reach over and turn off the alarm this morning instead of going to morning Mass. Even though the headache persisted, by noon I was longing to spend some time in the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, so I left work and headed over to Old St. Joe's. I was lamenting how little time I've spent lately in Adoration or simple prayer. It seems like it's been more than a month since I offered a novena to St. Therese, and human weakness kicks in with excuses. I am reminded that I am called to a different life, one of prayer and sacrifice amid the activities of daily living. Do I want my fruits to be those of laziness and sloth? Certainly not. Nor do I want those around me to be sick and diseased trees producing sub-par fruit. Neither do you. How will we help those who are not producing good fruit? By wearing our faith on our sleeves, we can have an unbelievable effect on those around us.

About a year ago, I took to wearing a little pin of St. Therese on my ID badge. It's a great conversation starter. One of the heathen doctors I work with stopped me one day and asked me the significance of the medal, so I gave him a copy of Story of a Soul. I noticed it on the shelf in his office recently. Now if you wanted to prune a diseased tree to help it grow good fruit, could you ask for a better gardener than St. Therese? Last week this same doctor made a comment to me about praying on a particular issue. I nearly fell over, but I shouldn't have. Never underestimate the power of the Little Flower, or your own ability to get someone tangled in her little web of victims of merciful love.

2 comments:

  1. God Bless you! How wonderful to see before our eyes God at work.
    I so well know the ease in which (especially in the workplace) I am pulled into the status quo atmosphere and conversations. I am in the midst of *trying* to rework my summer schedule to resume daily mass and rosary. Please pray for me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!