Friday, October 9, 2009

Lord, What Have I Done For You Lately?

One of the many benefits of getting caught in St. Therese's little web is that it causes you to pause and think about how your every action might serve God. Come to a stop sign when you're in a hurry and a lollygagger is trying to cross the street, you wave them on. You know you were in line before the pushy person who edges in ahead of you, you let them go. You get the picture. Some days, I have to really struggle to come up with a single thing I've done for God. Which leads me to this: today is Friday, a penitential day in the life of the Church. Growing up, meat was forbidden on Fridays. Now, it is permitted, provided we perform some act of mercy or perform some penance. It's a small thing to give up, given the expanse of meatless food choices we have now compared to when I was growing up in the 60's. Still, it requires some effort, particularly when invited to eat at someone's home.
Last Friday I served fried fish for dinner and my son asked me why because it wasn't Lent. Even though it may not seem like a big sacrifice, it at least gives us pause to stop and think on Fridays about why we will not eat meat.

(I wrote this last night and forgot to post it, hence it's a day late)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!