Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Striving Daily to Be Holy

Today did not exactly go like it should have for a person who is fortunate to assist at Daily Mass. First, Tuesdays and Thursdays are often chaotic and stressful, particularly when just one of our surgeons had a total of 17 cases today. Then, there are the folks who like to make life unpleasant for others for whatever reason. Interestingly, a colleague and I took a minute to reflect together on how challenging it sometimes is to retain our faith in the workplace, and we both agreed that we didn't do a very good job today of walking the path.

What my friend shared with me is something that has been tugging at me for awhile, and that is the tendency to react to things that happen, rather than just accept them and trust God to handle the problems. The workplace can be a microcosm of the world at large, where despite our best efforts, things happen that can really test a person, no matter how religious we think we are. A favorite confessor at St. John's will always ask me this question: Did you lift the person up in prayer? Sadly, there are too many times when I've had to say no. This is another indication of an attachment to myself and my own will. It's my duty to pray for everyone, especially those perceived to be "enemies", and how quickly I can forget this when under attack.

So, in addition to working on impatience this season of Advent, I'm going to do my best to let things roll off my back, so to speak, and ask God for the patience to endure and the wisdom to handle these challenges that often appear in my path. And I'm going to try my best to pray for the person or persons in question. As Our Lord said, of what merit is it to love only those who love us back? That's why at every Novus Ordo Mass we ask Blessed Mary Ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and our brothers and sisters to pray for us that we may avoid sin and be favored with the mercy of God. It's time for me to make more of an effort to benefit from the grace that is available for the asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!