Saturday, August 21, 2010

A little bit of a let-down

I've been feeling a little melancholy the past few days. I came to the realization that it really does bother me a little that the last child is off to high school. It feels odd not to have to be shopping for uniforms or adding the finishing touches to a summer SOS (which stands for Save Our Skills). No trips to Target to fight off other customers over the last black marble copybook. No excitement over a new schoolbag or lunch box. Sigh.

Adding to the sadness is the news that Flurry, the shelter puppy that Father S of Clerical Reform just adopted, passed away unexpectedly during surgery to spay her. I think Father is probably handling the news better than I am. As he said, the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Still, it's tough losing a pet, especially such a young one. Father S is a fine priest whose blog is primarily for the benefit of his brother priests. However, he is always gracious and helpful to the laity who comment on his posts and I pray for him frequently. I love that he doesn't want his blog to be about him but about the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Keep Father in your prayers, please?

The days are getting shorter. Just a few weeks ago, I could go for my evening walk at 7:30 and still complete most of it in the fading daylight. Now it's dark by 8pm. I don't mind the change of seasons and the older I get, the more I look forward to the Fall. Still, it feels like there are so many things that must be accomplished and less and less time in which to complete them.

Last, this is the first Saturday where I didn't get to Mass in about two years. I know it's not an obligation to go to daily Mass, but still - the Mass is such an untapped treasure that I feel like I need to go for so many who do not realize what we have here on earth. We had last-minute, self-invited company for dinner, my hair appointment lasted an hour longer than it should have, and before you know it, the day was over. We should treat every opportunity to receive Holy Communion as though it's our last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!