Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mother Teresa on Examination of Conscience


One of the duties of professed priests and religious, in addition to faithfully praying the Divine Office, is to make an examination of conscience each evening. In fact, St. Teresa of Jesus once said that no one should retire for the night without at least making an accounting of their sins that day as well as reciting the Our Father. How to make a proper examination of conscience? Here is some advice from Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta:

"You need only ask at night before you go to bed 'What did I do to Jesus today? What did I do for Jesus today? What did I do with Jesus today?' You have only to look at your hands. This is the best examination of conscience."

2 comments:

  1. Whoa. Is that a skull at the base of the crucifix? I suppose a reminder? And to think that skulls are trendy now. Who is the picture of?
    I love Mother Teresa's examination-I hadn't heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness you have some good eyesight! I didn't even notice the skull. It's just a stock photo of a Carmelite nun. Hopefully I didn't publish something scandalous

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!