Saturday, December 31, 2011

Some Recent Photos Pt. One

First, here are some images of the beautiful manger in the chapel at work.  My camera work is not so steady due to tremors I seem to have developed in my hands, but hopefully, you can still appreciate the serenity of Mary and the strength of Joseph in these photos.

Mary, on one knee, contemplating the radiant beauty of the Christ Child



Next, here is a photo of the family gift I brought back from Italy - a statue of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.   I don't know if this photo does justice to the detail in Mary's face and in the cherubs.  I was somewhat disappointed with the statuary offered in Rome, except for this one.  I knew I had to have it as soon as I laid eyes on it.  It's at my mother's for safekeeping right now.  She has it in a china closet with her statue of the Pieta as well as some other keepsakes she has.  I should have shuffled the rabbit out of the way but didn't.  Amateurs!

The Immaculate Conception, my Christmas gift to the entire family from Rome.

Next up is the obligatory photo of the Christmas tree.  Caitlin talked me into doing white lights this year.  The jury's still out on whether I prefer these or the usual multi-colored bulbs, which we do have decorating the lilac bush in the back yard.

The jury is still out on white lights vs colored ones.



Next, here are some photos of the sweet faces that help make up the live Nativity in Old City.   Due to the cruel acts of some miscreant(s), no shots of the actual creche.




Finally, this photo has nothing to do with Christmas.  I was taking a walk back in November and came across this scene outside a funeral home.  It's not a common sight these days.  Before taking the photo, I asked a member of the deceased's family if it was OK and I was told it was no problem.  The casket had not yet been loaded onto the horse-drawn hearse.    Sadly, this was a funeral for a young person.  May he rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these, Joyce!
    The statue of Our Lady in that nativity is the most beautiful I've ever seen. So delicate and evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, that's exactly what I thought the first time I laid eyes on her. I love how one hand is resting inside the other, the color of her garments and the way they fit her, almost like a nun's habit. This representation of St. Joseph is also a bit unusual in that he appears more youthful and confident than we normally see. Would love to know what the artist who created them was trying to portray.
    A blessed New Year Julie!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!