Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Trials and Tribulations

Today is day 7 of the Headache from Hell. The doctor said it's a migraine, probably due to hormonal shifts and to the stress that is my life. I wouldn't be Catholic or Italian if I didn't suffer from guilt, so naturally I'm having my share about having to leave my assistant in charge by herself for two weeks. And of course in my absence, the usual havoc is taking place. Surgeons misbehaving. Staff calling out sick (hard to fault them for that when their fearless leader is home with an icepack on her head. ) Administration running around like chickens without heads because they're expecting a visit from the Department of Health. Anyway, I've always found headaches to be the most difficult ailment to plow through. Kidney stones, labor pains, even the herniated disc pale in comparison to the misery a headache brings on. If this is God's idea of a physical trial for me, I'm already hollering uncle. With a headache, it's often difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Every burden feels that much heavier, every hill seems insurmountable. I pray by saying words and giving them almost no meaning because it's nearly impossible to concentrate. Best I can do is offer up the misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!