Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Grace Is Sufficient For You

For Sexagesima Sunday, a timely and must-read from Vultus Christi. For those of you who are not familiar with the Traditional Latin Mass, there are three Sundays that occur immediately before the first Sunday in Lent that are a kind of pre-Lent to help prepare us for the heavy lifting we will soon be doing. As Father Z pointed out on Friday, no part of the Collect for today's Mass survived the changes of Vatican II, which is unfortunate. It refers to St. Paul as the "Doctor of the Gentiles" and implores God for the saint's protection for us.

St. Paul bore an unrevealed thorn, about which he complained to Jesus, Who told him: "My Grace is sufficient for you."

And for us.


Sufficit tibi gratia mea

5 comments:

  1. It is a shame we do not acknowledge these Sundays in preparation for Lent anymore. I am only aware of them through reading *Divine Intimacy*. Blessed Sunday to you. ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to you Theresa. I hope you noticed I borrowed the wonderful phrase you posted yesterday from St. John of the Cross - it's under the photo of the cross in the upper right side of the blog. I think I will make it my motto for Lent.
    Thanks for stopping by :)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect motto for Lent...I just stumbled upon that and was blown away! ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, I didn't know about these pre-Lent days and it is a good reminder just before Lent that "His grace is sufficient for us." I don't know why I continue to forget that and fall into the stress of every day life!?! Obviously I need to work on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone Noreen. At least once an hour of every day, at least while I'm at work, I need to work on this as well!
    Blessings
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!