Monday, November 28, 2011

In the Most Unlikely Places

I haven't really heard anyone personally complain about the new translation, but I have to confess that I expected a certain amount of resistance at the chapel where I attend Mass during the week.  I would be wrong!  Not only did the priest use the word "brethren" as indicated, but the usual suspects ceased and desisted from using gender-neutral language when referring to God the Father.  It was music to my ears.

Plus, two days in a row, the Philadelphia Inquirer ran a positive article about the Catholic church - yesterday's op-ed about the TLM and today's piece on the new translation.  Today's article even cast the one naysayer as appropriately grumpy.

Encourage  people who think the changes are too difficult to learn to practice often by attending daily Mass.

4 comments:

  1. Alas, not even this good advice would enable tone-deaf me to ever be able to sing the new "Gloria" in a passable fashion. That tune is all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry Julie - we don't sing the Gloria again til Christmas (with the exception of Dec. 8) I think it would be much easier to pray it than sing it, but maybe that's just me.
    Peace
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been singing the new Gloria for a couple of months up to Advent. Though the structure of the new is not as clear as the old, I think it's an improvement. I like the phrases that are now in there.

    I haven't seen anything from you Joyce on what you think of the new mass overall. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manny I'm very happy with the changes except I wish the Confiteor was more faithful to the prayer in the TLM. I like that Blessed Michael the Archangel and the saints are invoked by name in the original. Here it is:

    I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you, brethren: that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed: through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you, brethren, to pray for me to the Lord our God

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!