Sunday, November 6, 2011

What David Knew About Goliath

David said to Saul, “Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him.”




Saul replied, “You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.”


 But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock,  I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.  Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God.  The LORD who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine." I  Book of Samuel, 17


The other day, I sat in a meeting with a few other managers and our boss, where we discussed a list of rather daunting tasks that await us.  I hadn't been able to get to Mass before the meeting and it had already been a morning full of challenges that at times seemed insurmountable.  My boss remained very calm  as we vented and complained and gave her reason after reason why we could not succeed unless our load was lightened.  And then she pulled that piece of scripture out and read it to us.  She concluded by saying: "We can do all things by putting our trust in the Lord.  Call on Him to help you, and He will."


Here was  I, the daily communicant, being reminded by an Evangelical Christian that we should never despair or complain because we are not abandoned or left alone to fend for ourselves.


We never know how the Lord is going to help us.  We don't need to know.  We have only to say: I give this all to You, Lord.  Guide me along the right path, strengthen me to fulfill what You will in this matter, and I will put my head down and forge ahead, knowing You are there with me.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!