Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Holy Communion

"See, I have left My heavenly throne to become united with you. What you see is only a tiny part and already your soul swoons with love. How amazed your heart will be when you see Me in all My glory. But I want to tell you that eternal life must begin here on earth through Holy Communion. Each Holy Communion makes you capable of communing with God throughout eternity." - St Faustina's Diary (1811). 

Sometimes when I am kneeling at the altar rail at Holy Communion, I fix my mind on the notion that I will soon encounter the living Christ. And I think of how this meeting will not be for the purpose of judging my soul but instead to fill it with Divine Love. Some day it will not be so. 

The truth is that as I read Faustina's diary again during this season of Lent, I am reminded of how poorly I receive Jesus. He has to compete with the debris which I have sinfully allowed to enter and which never fails to make an appearance at the most inopportune times. You can receive Him, but giving Him a compelling reason to stay is another story altogether.  
 
I know from personal experience that the more you are in His Presence, the more He will illuminate your soul. But recognizing our sins is not enough. The desire to change must be powered by His grace obtained through the sacraments.  Of all the virtues, humility may be the most important in the struggle for Christian perfection. 

Last night before I turned in, I had to make a painful but necessary admission to myself which I promptly brought to confession. As humble as I or others may think I am, I'm really not, and pride has even seeped into aspects of my spiritual life. But I will not let this deter me.  The "you shouldn't receive the Eucharist today because you're no good" spiel is the voice of a liar speaking to you. Unless you're not in a state if grace, do not permit the liar to talk you out of receiving  your Eucharistic King. 

Go to Mass and Holy Communion every chance you get. Heed the words He spoke to St Faustina and prepare your soul for the day it will see Him in all His glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!