Monday, October 24, 2011

Only Children and Those Like Them

On the ride home from my parents' house last night, I passed a house that was all lit up for Halloween, and as I looked at the enchanting scene of pumpkins and lights, I felt the pang of longing I do when I recall the innocence and happiness of my childhood.

It occurred to me that this might be what Heaven will be like.  Heaven will be the Christmas where the lights never have to come down, the summer vacation in the woods that never ends, the Monday off from work.  This made me realize why it is that summer vacations are always so short and why Monday always seems to come around sooner than Friday is.  I thought that I understood why we spend more time working than playing.  Without the hard times, we might have little or no appreciation for leisure.  The way that we lighten our load is to do all things in His Name.

There is something else I have been wondering about lately, and that is the sadness the the Lord must feel at the loss of so many souls.  I remember reading once that God never rejects His creatures.  What then does He feel when He cannot bring a soul to Himself because that soul spurned Him?  Does He continue to hear the cries of those who are sent to the Netherworld as the reality of the fate they have chosen sinks in?

I wonder and because I do not have the mind of God, I cannot know.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice blog. I love your vision of heaven. I've tried to imagine heaven and it never seems to come together. I have no idea what it will be like but I do know it will be joyful. Perhaps it will have the joyful innocence of childhood.

    I do have to say that I think Halloween lights is ridiculous. It's not a real holiday, but the secularists need something to celebrate, so they create an artificial event.

    I can't wait for Thanksgiving; though not specifically Catholic, it is Christian in nature. I thank God in my prayers all the time, but a special day is definitely warranted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manny, when I was a child, I loved Halloween and seeing the decorations reminds me of my childhood. But I agree - it can get over the top.

    I'm not sure I've offered an appropriate vision of Heaven but my point was that if we didn't have to toil for our bread by the sweat of our brow, we might not have as great an appreciation for what God has prepared for us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!