Thursday, October 13, 2011

Padre Pio Comes Through for Me

I left out an important detail of our night in San Giovanni Rotondo.  After being unable to sleep because of the lack of air and the mournful sounds of the poor lost dog outside, I must have finally drifted off because around 3AM I awoke in the worst pain in my life, a pain with which I'm unfortunately quite familiar.  It was obvious that I had a kidney stone, which would surely put a damper on things for me.   There was no way I was going to go to a hospital in Italy.  No sir.  I was going to have to ride this out until we left for home. If you've ever had a kidney stone, you know this is virtually impossible as this is not a pain you can ignore and a change in position does nothing to relieve the discomfort.  Imagine 9 hours on a plane with a kidney stone. I'd sooner fly with a screaming infant.

I had nothing with me to kill pain except Ibuprofen and it was going to take a toxic dose to have any effect. I was sure this was my come-uppance for my lack of charity earlier regarding the Rosary.  But fortunately, God doesn't think the way we do.

"I know what I'll do," I told myself, like the dishonest steward in the parable.  "I'll beg Padre Pio to help me."

And that's just what I did.  I got on my knees and pleaded with the saint to intervene for me.  The miracle is that the pain subsided substantially and other than a few twinges, it disappeared altogether.

Thanks be to God, and for Padre Pio for his glorious intercession.

4 comments:

  1. Joyce, I can't get over all that you battled against on this trip.. And then a healing through Padre Pio's intercession. What a pilgrimage in the truest sense of the word. Maybe it was a tour and shopping trip for some, but as I read your journal I think you experienced a very real journey of seeking Him as you visited so many holy sites. It's like the roaring lion kept trying to raise a standard against you..but the Lord came in like a flood...

    I'm so inspired from reading both your struggles and your joys.

    +

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!!
    That must've been awful for you.
    So glad you didn't need to go to hospital!
    Padre Pio is a wonderful friend to have.
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! He has come thorough for me before, too! I am reading all your posts, not able to comment much-- (you know, my ball and chain always awaits, lol) but I am so sorry for the situation with the prayers! Oy vey, what is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline, I was somewhat hesitant to chronicle the trip as I have, but I think it's been a good thing as time and distance have allowed me to see how blessed I was. I am so confident in the powerful intercession of the saints, that I nearly forgot about the kidney stone attack. It's not because I'm ungrateful that I sometimes forget that these things happen to me ( who could forget a kidney stone?)

    Trish, it would have been without Divine Intervention, believe me!

    Kelly, I was also hesitant to discuss that episode, but I thought I would so it might give others pause to think twice before they speak, no matter how much in love they are with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!