Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All God's Children

At a nearby Adoration chapel, there are signs everywhere pleading with folks not to give money to people who solicit. The faithful are implored to direct those asking for money to the friary. There is one recalcitrant individual who is undaunted and preys on the unsuspecting. She once tried to assault an elderly priest as he was sitting in Adoration, and I'm not sure her problems can all be blamed on the ravages of a life of addiction. I can pray for her to be released from that which binds her, but I'm all too aware of her cunning and violent nature to ever be moved into giving her anything.

Then there is this fellow I know from the days of handing out care packages to homeless men and women. In winter, the packages had the additional items of gloves and hats. As I handed this man his gift bag one day, he tore the hat and gloves out of the bag and put them on immediately. Then he gave me a big hug, saying "Miss, do you think you could tell some of these women out here I'm not as bad as they think?" I still laugh when I think about it and particularly every time I see him.

Anyway, this fellow never bothers anyone in the chapel, nor does he ever ask for anything. He sits a few doors away from the church, greetings passersby. He is the one homeless person that I trust will buy himself food if I give him money. Yesterday, when I came out of the church, he was overjoyed to see me, or at least he did a convincing job of making me think so. "Miss!", he yelled, "don't worry about me being crazy. We is all crazy and God still loves us. You crazy too." I couldn't really argue with him about that!

Any time I see him, he reminds me of the hat and gloves and shows me that he still has them. Then I am treated to a profuse stream of "God Bless you".

Today, he appeared to have finally found a woman who he convinced to believe he wasn't "that bad", and he had her do his bidding for him. You could tell she wasn't quite accustomed to asking for money, and she could barely get a word out of her mouth before he'd correct her. Since I had never heard him beg before, I was a bit surprised. Maybe he's too proud to beg, but not too proud to have it someone do it for him?

"Don't ask for tokens - we ain't taking no bus anywhere."

"Don't ask nobody for nothin without sayin' please. And don't forget to say God bless you!"

"When somebody gives you somethin, you say thank you, you hear?"

His companion appeared to be clean and adequately dressed and her presentation was one of a new employee who is being oriented to their first day on the job. She didn't look homeless but perhaps she was new to the streets. Everybody has to start someplace, including the indigent.

I was thinking about how I have been seeing this character around for the past few years and how some others have not been so lucky. Some have perished due to illness, others met a violent end. There is one man that we believe is probably autistic who sits in Adoration at another nearby chapel all day. We think he's autistic because he doesn't speak to anyone and eye contact is difficult for him, yet he seems to understand. At one of the soup kitchens where I volunteered on Saturday mornings, he would be the first to grab a mop to clean up afterward. I've always wondered if the reason he sits in church is simply because it's the one warm place he can go without being asked to leave, or if something else draws him. I'll never know. I can only pray to God to continue to watch over him and those who live on the streets in a world of their own, never harming a soul.

4 comments:

  1. After working with some of our local homeless, I am wondering if I know the first woman you mentioned. If you wouldn't mind, shoot me an email and describe her?
    Also- I found that most of them were really delightful people, struck with mental illnesses of varying degrees. Of course, some were so entrenched in their illness, and tortured otherwise, as you also mentioned-(of that I am convinced)-that it was difficult to interact with them at all.
    You last post really resonated with me--people who are mentally ill have a particular suffering, just like you said, it is a crown of thorns (ever since I read that in Fr.G's book I ALWAYS think of it at that decade). I think it is a particularly heavy cross, one that can include humiliation. I have a special spot in my heart for all who suffer with it, and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will email you her first name. At least that's what she says her name is. You may know her and have some insights that I don't.

    Yesterday at Mass, at least two people asked the congregation to pray for those who suffer from mental illness and they mentioned family members that they were praying for. I don't like when we're asked to mention intentions out loud, but it wast the priest's call and it was sobering to see and hear the struggles. The mentally ill are easy to forget, until something like Arizona happens. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do God's work. As I read this, I was reminded of the prayer of St. Theresa of Avila.

    Christ has no body but yours,
    No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
    Yours are the eyes with which he looks compassion on this world,
    Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
    Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.

    Bless you for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Manny, but I don't do nearly as much as I used to or should. However, I think it's true for all of us that when we perform an act of mercy, we almost feel as though it's not our actions but Christ acting through us. And thanks for reminding me of the beautiful prayer.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!