Monday, January 17, 2011

Off to an Auspicious Start

Even though my new job is not in a Catholic hospital, it was still an encouraging first day. My Brown Scapular was visible as I was being introduced to one of the surgeons, and he was nearly ecstatic. "You're obviously a religious person," he said, "and that's something that means a lot to me. I'm Jewish, but I'm married to a devout Catholic. I love people who aren't afraid to display symbols of their faith."

At first, I thought he was pulling my leg, but as he went on, I could see he was not. I told him that I rely heavily on my "friends in high places". And then suddenly, the charge nurse, was who was showing me around and making introductions, produced a St. Therese holy card that she keeps in her scrub pocket at all times.

Another thing I learned is that my predecessor normally came in to work around 9am. I don't intend to do that, as that would surely be taking advantage, but at least I know it will be fine if I'm not there at the crack of dawn. I may even be able to continue to attend Mass at my usual weekday parish, provided I can get to work by 7:30am. It will still be some time before I can do this as there are processes I need to observe that happen very early. But hopefully, in about a month, I can fall back into my familiar routine.

Thank you Lord!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I have been wondering all day how your day went. And I prayed for you at mass this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful. I'm happy for you. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another sign you are in the right place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all, keep those prayers coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I'm reading this many days after you posted it, a day when a number of my friends are recoiling from some of the horrors of the Internet, including the Catholic internet. I'm not saying what they say is false but I do wish to affirm that the Internet, the Catholic Internet also produces encouraging, doctrinally and devotionally inspiring pieces such as your own. In no small measure it has to do with where we allow our attention to be drawn. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Owen
    Many thanks for commenting and stopping by. I don't always see things exactly the way my counterparts do, so I try in my own little way to present a slightly different take and encourage respectful discussion. It's all for the glory of God and in thanksgiving to St. Therese for her constant intercession, with an occasional bit of humor thrown in.
    God bless you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!