Friday, January 28, 2011

The Struggle

So, two weeks at the new job have concluded. Every day when I come home, my husband and my kids ask me the exact same thing: "So, what do you think?" I know they are waiting for the other shoe to drop. The OR I came from was run very efficiently (by me, I might add) and I'm accustomed to giving orders and having them followed. I don't mean that I ordered people around; I only mean that when I asked someone to do something, they did it. Here, people have been without a leader for so long, they're accustomed to doing whatever they feel like doing, when they feel like it. So anyone who asks more of them than they're used to giving is viewed with suspicion. I can deal with that.

What I'm finding more difficult is the social aspect that comes with being a director. When the day begins, I want to start it at Mass. When it ends, I want to go home to my family. At the risk of sounding like I live in a cave or a monastery, I really don't. But when I do "socialize", it's more than likely that the occasion centers around my church or my faith. My idea of a fun weekend is going to the Carmelite Monastery for a day of silent recollection. And at Lent, I really live it up and do two retreats; one with the nuns and the other with the priests and seminarians at St. Charles Seminary. On Sunday, we are having a reception in the rectory following the TLM. Although I've always had a bit of a difficult time around strangers or people I don't know well, I manage with this very nicely. I bring food, put on an apron, and wait on people, so the small talk is easier.

At work, there is an expectation that the directors will be good team players and attend every social event held at the hospital or by one of the doctors. Fortunately, I missed the Christmas party, but I won't be able to get out of going to the Spring picnic, the jocs versus the docs softball game, or the barbecue at Dr. H's vacation home. On Fridays, the nurse directors order out for lunch, and then meet and talk and joke around. On Fridays, I try to abstain from meat and eat in a more penitential manner, so I'm going to have to figure out how NOT to draw attention to myself. I prefer to eat at my desk, by myself, and when the weather's nice, go for a walk around the block and sneak in a Chaplet. That's not going to be so easy now. I also have a boss who likes to socialize outside of work, from what I've seen. I can tell it's going to be awkward.

I can't wait til someone asks me what I did over the weekend.

"Well, let's see. I went to Mass, Adoration and Confession on Saturday, followed by making Communion calls to my sick and shut-in parishioners that are assigned to me; and then on Sunday, I made the appetizers for my church's reception, took my son the altar server to his Mass, came home and went to the TLM, and then spent the afternoon at the rectory. Then we went to Vespers."

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.

6 comments:

  1. Two weeks into a job today is like three months into a job long ago. You have staying power already.

    "people have been without a leader for so long, they're accustomed to doing whatever they feel like doing, when they feel like it."
    ```The Little Way , Paragraph one

    What a beautiful description of folks who have no Christ in their life.

    Which brings us to Psalm 37:23 where we find "the steps of the righteous are ordered by God". It seems he has ordained your steps, not for the job to influence you, but for you to continue to be the aroma of Christ for Him, there. YOU are His Ambassador, and He is making His appeal to the lost....through you.

    And He has supplied power in your position.
    You wield it in His Name, not the other way around, where the job confines you.

    And, as in any job, if you stumble, you don't go down for long; God has a grip on your hand.

    I wonder what miracle the Saviour plans to work through you in this job? Had any other person been adequate for His task, the job would be theirs. But, a silent Director, who orders organization and flow, precisely as the Creator did in Genesis, is now doing the work of the Creator, on a new job the past two weeks.

    We await in anticipation the new songs to emerge. In you....and in them.

    God be with ye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Keystone, for your unique perspective and the prose with which you convey it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog Joyce. You and Mary-C have become Catholic models for me to strive for. Unfortunately I don't think I can be as holy as either of you.

    As to not socializing, let me offer this. I know some if not most social events are trivial, but I find the human contact of such events brings me closer to God. I find that the individual humanity of each person is a marvel. Humanity contains God - the Christ in all of us - and social events are a way to come in contact with God's wonder. Now I admit, I'm a fairly gregarious person. Perhaps such a nature allows me to see that wonder in humanity. I find that a complete monk's life to be overly self centered. Christ's second commandment is to love our neighbors. So all I'm saying is that one should strike a balance between solely focusing on God and solely focusing on society. Christ journey and lived with apostles. Comradery can be a blessed thing. That's just my humble opinion. You have to follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Manny, I'm not holier than anyone else. If you only knew how I struggle. I just try, hard, and I put it out there for others who may find themselves in a similar situation. Remember the litany of humility's plea that others may be holier than me, provided I am as holy as I should be.

    I definitely agree with what you say about contact with others at social events. It's a flaw in my make-up that I struggle with. I think it's why I have a vocation as a wife, mother and nurse and not a nun and why I have gregarious children who have lots of friends, etc. It's not easy to avoid contact with others when you have kids.

    Blessings
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like to socialize with work friends outside of work either- they are work friends. Ours usually involve happy hours and I never, never drink and drive, so I may attend one if the department all attends but drink soda if I do. Stick to your guns about the Friday lunch. Join them occasionally and just bring your own food. They will get used to it. Really, what can they say if you don't join them outside of work if you are doing spiritual or charitable work? BTW, you are pretty awesome -speaking to your weekend activities. I should do a quarter as much. Maybe you will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy
    Not that awesome. The social hours at the rectory are only once in awhile. I do try to make time for the other things every weekend, and there are certainly times when family needs demand otherwise. But on the average, I try hard to have part of Saturday and a good part of Sunday revolve around Jesus in the Eucharist. Trust me, it wasn't always like that, but now that it is, I'm out of sorts when that routine gets disrupted. Spiritual exercises are not all that different from physical ones in that I need to keep a steady habit lest I fall off the wagon.
    God Bless you
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!