Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oh, the Humanity, Crying out to Heaven!

Lucky for me, there is at least one church in my neighborhood with an evening Mass once a week. By evening, I mean 7pm or later, in this case, confession at 7pm and Mass at 7:30. Following the Mass is a novena to St. Rita, saint of impossible cases. The Adoration chapel is open until Mass begins on Wednesday evenings, even though the Blessed Sacrament is no longer exposed. (He is still there, just the same, but repositioned at 5pm when the friars begin Vespers). Going to this Mass gives you a good idea of the suffering and desperation of so many people and while it's difficult to see people in so much pain, it is edifying to know that in that desperation, they have turned to God and one of His most powerful saints.

Sometimes, it's pretty obvious that those pleading for God's mercy are not all that familiar with the Catholic Mass. They don't know when to stand, or what to say, so it's an opportunity not only to join my petitions to theirs, but to ask God to grant them the grace to return faithfully to the fold.

It also occurred to me that when a person is so closely entwined in a difficult situation, it's not always possible for them to pray. Many years ago, before my youngest was finally diagnosed with Marfan's(and not something with a much worse prognosis as was feared, Thank God), I could not pray. I asked other people to pray for us, and then I simply told God that I was too involved and couldn't separate myself from the anxiety long enough to do or say anything but "Lord, I trust You, please handle this for me." And He did. So when I'm at this Mass or others like it, when the cries of desperation surround me, I feel it is my turn to reciprocate, to pray for those who may not be able to pray for themselves or perhaps have too much pride to ask for God's help.

Tonight was also an opportunity to ask St. Rita's intercession for those I only know through blogging but who tug at my heart just the same. God loves them, and so do I. And I hope they know that now St. Rita, the saint of the impossible who bore the marks of Christ's passion and love on her forehead and in her heart, is praying for them as well.
Peace all

PS- blogger spellcheck isn't working, so cut me some slack :-D

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised there are evening daily masses by you. I've never seen any here. We do have an adoration chapel for people to come and pray and it's openned 24 hours round the clock, as long as they can get a volenteer care taker. I've never gone in the wee hours but they say it's sometimes hard to get a volenteer for that. By the way, my local church is also called St. Ritas but it's never occurred to me to pray to her. I will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manny
    How about that - you belong to a St. Rita's! Unfortunately, the 7:30pm Mass is only once a week, on Wednesdays when they hold 3 Masses, each followed by her novena. In May for 9 days before her feast, they have 5 Masses a day, including one at 7:30pm I'm also thinking of signing up for hours at a perpetual adoration chapel not too far from me. It would be nice to stop in before or after work on those days when I can't get to Mass.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a church nearby that has 5 p.m. masses two days a week. I have never been able to get there for an evening mass. When I was just coming back to the church 20 years ago, I lived near a church that had an 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. mass every single day. I got to mass almost every day then. I miss that.

    I need to sign up for an adoration time. I miss mine... 5 a.m. on Thursday mornings for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saint Rita definitely helped me when I was at one of those points-she also gently prodded me in the direction of my conversion :) I know the situation you speak of there and my heart often goes out to them. Other times, I am impatient. :P not proud of that.
    I often can't pray anything more than a "Lord Jesus." But He and all the saints I am wearing out-um-I mean -calling upon frequently--are supporting me.
    Where is the perpetual adoration chapel?
    I hope you will be able to go back to 6:30 at St. Monica's someday.
    Also, on your recommendation, I am doing spiritual direction with Fr. McG. It is today, in fact. We are addressing some rather heavy/scary things for me--I do appreciate your prayers.
    I pray you have continued blessings at your new job!
    Peace,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelly
    Stella Maris has Perpetual Adoration. The Little Flower Chapel (got to love it just for the name) opened last year. I think the chapel is in the basement of the rectory. I haven't been there yet but am planning to call to sign up, etc. You need a key fob for after hours, etc. which they give you when you sign up. An acquaintance who's been there so it seats maybe 4 people.
    I'm so happy you are hitting it off with Father McG. He is the major reason why I hated leaving St. Monica's during the week, but I'm hoping it might work out that I can once again go there.
    take care
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!