Friday, January 28, 2011

No Turning Back: One Priest's Story of Conversion


"No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy" is a new book from Marian Press written by Father Donald H. Calloway, M.I.C. According to a review in the Catholic Standard & Times, prior to his conversion, Father smoked pot, snorted coke, dropped out of school, flunked rehab twice, got arrested, and found all the religion he needed in the Grateful Dead. "Just when he was becoming disillusioned with life, a book he finds in his parents' home about Mary Queen of Peace, changes everything."

I can relate to that.

Although I was on an entirely different but every bit as dangerous path of my own, it was something I found at my parents' house one Sunday after dinner that changed everything. Sister Lucia had just passed away, and there was an article in the same paper referenced above about Fatima and the events that followed. When I read that the late Pope John Paul II was shot on May 13th, the same day the apparitions to the children at Fatima began, I couldn't put the article down. I remember my mother calling me to join the rest of the family for dessert, and politely excusing myself. The CS & T was always on the coffee table when we went to my parents' house for Sunday dinner. Why did I happen to pick up that particular copy? Shortly thereafter, I dug out my Rosary and have hardly ever missed a day reciting it yet. The rest is history.

Father Calloway is now a member of the Congregation of Marians of the Immaculate Conception. How fitting that he would choose to belong to an order that not only belongs to Mary but are the "official promoters of the Divine Mercy."

Father Calloway credits the prayers of his earthly mother with bringing him back to the faith. And just like my mother never gave up on me, neither does our Mother in Heaven give up on any of us. I remember Father Corapi talking about how Mary picked him up out of the gutter, the way a mother would laughingly pluck her filthy little boy out of a puddle of mud.

"No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy" can be purchased on Father Calloway's website and will also be available at Catholic bookstores.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed !Thank you for sharing about your pivotal moment.
    And I might add, Bob and I were married on May 13th. A very blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!