Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Little Things

My daughter has been an altar server for the Novus Ordo at our parish since she was in 4th grade. Now that she's in 9th grade and prefers the Traditional Latin Mass, I thought it was time for her to hang up her alb, but we also didn't want to leave the pastor high and dry because the number of children willing to serve has been almost nil. In October, she was given the charge of training a little boy who himself is now in 4th grade. He is adorable and resembles a cherub with his curls and blue eyes. Rebecca took her charge very seriously and she let him do as much as possible under her tutelage so that, once on his own, he'd be prepared for anything. It was a very endearing thing to watch. She, being twice his height, resembled a loving big sister more than the senior server, directing him to receive the gifts with Father or ring the bells at the Consecration.

Shortly before Christmas, Father decided it was time for the new server to fly solo. There have been a few charming moments and he still needs a bit of direction, but he will figure things out. Tonight I got to see him serve all by himself. Thankfully, our pastor and our weekend assistant are endowed with ample patience and they took everything in stride. It was a beautiful sight.

Another beautiful but wholly unexpected sight took place at Mass this evening as well. Instead of an Extraordinary Minister , our pastor came out at the Agnus Dei, appropriately vested in a beautiful stole, to help the celebrant distribute Holy Communion. It's possible this has happened before and I wasn't there to see it, but I was both surprised and delighted. The EM's at our parish are very well trained, so you don't see the abuses that take place in some other churches, but still - if there's a priest on-hand, I think it's better that he assist the celebrant rather than an EM.

It was also nice to see that so many people were undaunted by the snow and ice and made it to Mass this evening. I will know I'm batting a thousand if the creche is left up until February 2nd. We'll soon see!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice thing to see! My daughter serves, too, she is in her second year.
    About the EM's---I heartily agree! Our parish has enough priests! Idk if it's the inconvenience factor or what, but what we're doing with EM's is beyond me. I have been asked on the spot to fill in, and have always complied--but I am uncomfortable. So, bravo to your priest!
    We were wondering aloud how long our creche will remain...The figures have been beautifully restored by Father Check. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It surprises me that your parish would use EM's because you do have so many priests. We only use one per Mass. I am an EM, but I don't assist at Mass. I only make house calls to the sick and shut-ins because one priest could not possibly do this all by himself, and he has no one else to help. Now that I'm starting a new job in a week, I won't be at St. Monica's every morning any more. A little sad about that but I did find another church near my new job with a weekday 6:30am Mass, so I will have a new weekday home. I didn't get to see St. Monica's creche, but I did hear that Father Check wasn't allowed on the plane to Rome until he finished restoring it :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!