Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Living the Life

The Crescat has a good posts today on our vocations in life and how we sometimes catch ourselves saying we "missed our calling".

As you know, I started my new job last Monday. The only weekday on which I was able to get to Mass was Wednesday evening. This week, I decided to try going to the weekday parish that I've called home for the past three years to see how long it would take me to get to work, and since it's only taken me about 20 minutes, I've decided to forgo the suburban church a few miles from the hospital to stick with what I'm familiar with.

I have a few reasons for this. One, I'm assured there will be no liturgical abuses here. Second, the regulars at the 6:30 am Mass have forged a bond of sorts. We notice when someone is missing, or when someone is ailing or not quite themselves and we pray for one another. Third, there is a wonderful priest who I actually PRAYED would be assigned to this church. He was, a bit later than the cardinal usually makes assignments, and it's a joy to assist at any Mass he celebrates and listen to him speak. But if truth be told, I have a selfish reason for loving this Mass as much as I do.

And what would that be?

The sisters.

The Mighty Macs (IHM nuns) who taught me in grade school, along with watching "The Trouble With Angels" and "The Nun's Story" one too many times, left an indelible impression on me. Since that's not the route I took in life, I confess that I feel I get to live a small part of what I'm missing by going to the same Mass that the sisters do each morning. It's silly, I know, but it's one of those little things in life that bring such joy. The funny part is that these sisters and I seem to travel in the same "Mass" circles. We go to the same weekday Mass, and many times, I will see them at the same church where I go for confession and the same chapel where I go for Saturday Noon Mass and Adoration. Once, we even all showed up at the same Lenten day of recollection at the seminary.

Aside from the fact that I enjoy this Mass, I need it. I felt so disjointed after being out of my normal routine last week. I like the discipline that comes with rising so early and having a strict prayer regimen. I need the strength that I draw daily from the Eucharist. Sometimes, going to that Mass is the most pious thing I get to do all day because of work and family responsibilities. And if Mass is the most pious devotion one can manage, that's not a bad thing. I notice when I get up early for this Mass even on days that I don't have to work, I'm much more productive and waste far less time than I do if I get up at my leisure and go to a later one. My prayer life is more focused. I have more patience and more strength to endure the every day trials that can drive you crazy, like husbands. I understand why the strict structure of the monastic life is so important.

*************************************************************************************

No photos to post of this, but I made a great discovery. If you add cup of club soda to a cup of buttermilk pancake mix, you get the best coating for fried fish. I accidentally took cod fillets out of the freezer instead of chicken tenders, so imagine my surprise when I opened the wrapping. Luckily, I had some seltzer and some delicious New Hope Mills mix on hand. The family loved it. I'll have to keep this in mind when Lent rolls around.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you found you can make it to the 6:30! :) NOW if I could just be consistent with the 8:30 :( I am so sorry to say that one of the things that deter me from that mass is that the same priest always does that one and I have a really hard time with him. :( for several reasons. :( :(
    I REALLY should try getting to the 6:30. And ditto an the effect on the whole day thing. Let me see if I can perhaps gear myself up and do this for lent, and make a new start!

    oooh and the fish recipe sounds fantastic....must try....
    God Bless--careful in this messy weather...

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!