Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Messenger for Christ

The shortage of priests as well as societal changes have rendered nearly extinct a favorite Catholic tradition from my childhood. Known as the "block collection", the parish priests would schedule a few weeks in the fall when they would branch out and visit every home in the parish. The priest who visited our home would ask some questions, update our family information, and bless us and our home. The block collection was a big deal for my parents. The house had to be gleaming, everyone had to be on their utmost best behavior, and we would sit like statues on the couch with our hands folded on our laps, listening for the knock at the door that would tell us Father was near.

When Father reached the nearest neighbor's house, a runner would knock on our door to let us know we were next. This was like the two-minute warning so that we could do any last-minute straightening, end any inappropriate discussions, and shut the television, if it happened to be on.

Lately, I've been slightly at odds with some fellow Catholics who I think are interested in the same thing I am - the salvation of souls. Perhaps it's because I'm a revert and a somewhat (thought not entirely) converted liberal that I see things differently. I didn't vote for the current occupant of the White House, and I of course do not support his actions or policies that expand access to abortion in any way. But I don't have a visceral reaction to him the way some do, and I think this sometimes rankles folks. I guess because of my own past, I tend to look at him and his cohort of pro-abortion CINO Democrats as a challenge that I don't intend to let slip away.

Yes, everyone is capable of redemption, although some are more ripe for it than others. I think of St. Therese as a spiritually precocious 14-year-old, fasting for an entire day to that Henri Pranzini might undergo a death-row conversion and repent of his sins in the moments before his execution. This does not mean I would roll over and just allow an advancement of abortion rights without a fight. But I simply can't bring myself to use Hitler and Nazi analogies because quite honestly, I think most politicians are snake oil salesmen. However, the possible flaw in my approach is this: although Christ did willingly allow encounters with prostitutes and other sinners, those who were in darkness sought Him out. At least they were in His general vicinity, such as Levi when Christ called him down from the tree. The politicians and pro-abortionists are not, and they demonstrate no interest in drawing near to Him.

Christ does not chase us, but He does pursue us. No matter how many times we refuse to answer, He continues to knock. He doesn't pound the door down, but gives a polite rap, no matter how long it takes us to answer. When it comes to those who suffer from the same blindness that I once did, I liken myself to that messenger who went ahead to alert people that the priest was on his way. Sometimes, our neighbors would be hesitant to accept a visit because they didn't have the envelope ready or were ashamed that they hadn't been to church lately. This is where the messenger came in handy, talking them down, so to speak, to reassure them that Father only wanted to bless them and their home. Some still refused a visit, and others humbly opened the door, full of apologies.

I'm going to continue to play the role of that messenger. I'm not going to insult, condemn or even ignore anyone. I am just going to keep talking to them and hope that eventually, they'll get tired of me and at least look through the peephole. Obviously, I have no rapport with the president or politicians, but I do know plenty of people who support him as well as other CINO politicians. Maybe the laws will change, but until that happens, I prefer to continue to work on changing hearts and minds (oooh I know, that phrase might hurt some eardrums out there). You never know how just one word to someone at the right time can plant a seed. And while I'm at it, I need to pray and fast more, and talk about doing it less.

7 comments:

  1. I always feel uncomfortable linking my politics with my religion. Cultural issues I think are the only issues where the two intersect. On economic and foreign policy issues, I don't question the motives of the other side. We both want a better America, it's just I disagree with their approach. Cultural issues are a real divide and I do think it's because one side is religiously oriented and the other isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I'm actually so turned off by politics that I am close to calling myself apolitical, which is a big switch from the way I used to be. I worry, however, that some of our brethren have blurred the line and can no longer recognize the difference between politics and religion. It makes my head hurt sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kind and gentle spirit, at an ad hominem attack on Abbey Road, left an aroma of Christ in your responses. I followed that fragrance to this page to see what it has, ....as aroma on your pages throughout.

    I will ponder your archives, but I want you to know that I made my first comment at Abbey Road precisely, as a result of your response to militancy aimed your way, and to another woman as well.

    I encourage you to go back to Abbey Roads, where your fragrance still remains, and ponder my inhale of your words, as reflected in my first comment there.

    I have no clue what "A Little Way" is about.
    So I shall linger from time to time, and find out. Your response on Abbey Road has produced applause in heaven. On Earth too, from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is difficult for me to reconcile the hatred coming from those who are claiming to be religious. For me, that simply does not compute. I have been very political for most of my life, like you, I am seeing myself change. I am a registered ______, but I think that may change. I cannot align myself with either party, because they simply don't represent me. And I cannot subscribe to a belief that needs to demonize the "other side."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thank you Keystone, I assume you are not Catholic if you don't not know what the little way is, so I invite you to find out for yourself. Learn all you can about St. Therese of Liseux, also known as the Little Flower. St. Therese knew she couldn't do great things for God, so she made the most of the little things, never missing an opportunity to make a sacrifice for Him. When she was only 13 or 14, she learned about a death-row prisoner who refused to repent. She fasted and abstained from even drinking water on the day he was to be executed. She called him her "first child." Imagine her joy to learn that before his death, he asked for a crucifix and kissed the corpus of Christ. Anyway, she became a Carmelite nun at the age of 15 and died at the age of 24 from TB. Under the vow of obedience, she wrote her biography. After her death, her writings were discovered and quickly published. "Story of a Soul" is her autobiography and I high recommend it to you.

    Now, just because I follow her example doesn't mean I don't ever get angry. Christ did chase the money changers from the temple, after all. If I heard someone blaspheming, or witnessed desecration of a sacred object, you can be sure I'd get angry very quickly. But my first motive is to win souls, so I leave the semantics, etc to those who enjoy it. I don't.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Christine, yes I hear you. I changed my registration to a party a few years ago, but I'm with you. I think I'm going to change it back to "no party registration." Hope your head is feeling better. Headaches are no fun. Did you know St. Teresa of Avila is the patroness of those who suffer with headaches?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Little Way has much to say. I have been reading backwards in time here.


    Mom had a dozen kids. We filled the entire pew at St. Patrick's. and a good portion of the school too. At church, St. Theresa was to the left; St Patrick to the right; three altars for Mass. Stations are life-size, one of two churches in the world to hold such.

    4:30 AM was time to deliver 125 newspapers for spending money, and the Mite Box during Lent.
    6:30 AM was time to be altar boy, in the Latin Mass 7 days a week. I was the only one of all siblings to attend Mass 7 days a week. Catholic High School followed.

    Last Christmas Eve, I spent time reminiscing a tad of Latin with the Bishop, after midnight Mass. The pews are growing empty at his Diocese Cathedral, but I told him I felt it was his best homily ever.

    I have touched upon Methodist, Baptist, Assembly of God, Alliance, Missionary, and a host of other Christian churches, primarily due to travel, and the host inviting me to theirs.

    I rarely go to any church now, but that is due to an early, quick, onset of deafness. I cannot hear and am learning ASL. Meanwhile, I read lips. Why go to Mass when you cannot hear a word said? Communion. I need that more than sound.

    My siblings and I toured the Holy Land last Feb/Mar, and had communion on the roof of the highest hotel in Jerusalem, on our final Thursday after dinner....around 9PM.
    The loaf of bread, and bottle of wine were on the table, outdoors under the stars.
    Gethsemane was in view, as was Potter's Field, and a host of Biblical spots come alive.
    I bought a chalice in Cana, and used that for communion. My siblings dipped the bread in the chalice wine, our Last Supper in Jerusalem, while I read the Bible to them. One brother, had never had communion in his life until that moment.

    I saw another post of yours where people did not know when to stand, and were assumed nonCatholic. I wanted to let you know that I very often fail to stand, or do the sayings aloud...due to being deaf. I do not know when to begin or end prayer. I can't tell my volume.

    As an altar boy, I jangled bells loudly at transubstantiation. Now, I hear no bells; and many rules have changed as well. Often, I find myself kneeling, while others are standing (post communion....until the Eucharist is put away...they seem to ignore that anymore).

    Over the years, I have found much change in the Church, as I was raised with the Baltimore catechism and Latin, witnessed Pius XII go by, John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II, and now Benedict XVI.

    The period of massive change from the Vatican Council in the sixties led to much confusion among my siblings, and many Catholics too.

    I am a Christian, and my burial spot in a Catholic cemetery is already set up. As long as I meet a believer in Jesus Christ, they are my brothers and sisters. It grieves me to see denominational disunity.
    I visited the Upper Room in Jerusalem, last year and everyone shook and cried. The Holy Spirit remains there vividly. A Church was born that moment. Followers of Jesus Christ. Christians.

    I am greatful for my Catholic upbringing, the teachings, the in depth Councils,Saints, Traditions, and smells of incense or candles of bees wax. 3,200 denominations of Christians exist, so, I am relieved to finally see the current Pope Benedict XVI pursue UNITY, over doctrinal differences.

    I have experience in many Christian churches, and see a tree with many branches and limbs, but only ONE trunk.

    Given your warm welcome, I shall return to these pews anew. Dominos vobiscum.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!