Monday, June 27, 2011

Heed the Holy Father's Call: Pray for Priests and Vocations

Between today and Friday (the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus) the Holy Father has called upon each of us to spend some time before the Blessed Sacrament praying for priests and for more vocations.  Pope Benedict XVI will mark the 60th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood this week, and what better way to honor him than by honoring Him.

I'm going to try to spend less time on the computer this week and more time in front of Our Eucharistic Lord.  My motto is going to be: Get Holy and Get Thin Trying.  You see, since I started this job in January, I've put on too many pounds of paunch, so my quest for holiness will have a two-fold benefit.  It's quite a hike to the Adoration Chapel so hopefully while I'm adding my prayers to those of the rest of the faithful, I'll  drop a pound or two.  (Actually, I need to drop much more than that, but I'll settle for a few pounds at this point.)

Plus, it's a good penance, if nothing else.  I keep expecting that the chapel, like other churches in summer, will be nice and cool, but it isn't.  There's nothing like arriving, all hot and sweaty from the walk, and not being able to tell the difference between the temperature inside or out of the chapel. Oh, well, something to look forward to in winter - I'll bet the heat works the same way the AC does.  Just like home.  At least I have something to offer up besides my prayers!

Anyway, don't forget to pray for priests this week.  Pray for those that struggle.  Pray for those who may be discouraged by so many lost souls.  Pray for those who have not been faithful to their vows. Pray for those who persecuted for their orthodox beliefs and faithfulness to the Church.    Pray for those young men studying and preparing for the priesthood.  Pray for priests by name, like Father Corapi and Father Francis Mary and Father Eunteneuer.  Pray for your pastor and any other priests at your parish.  Pray for retired priests and those priests at the end of their journey.

You will run out of time before you run out of men to pray for.

4 comments:

  1. I do intend to do this! Thank God for Saint Rita's, which makes it easier. What chapel are you referring to?

    I also have been attempting to shed a few pounds of the intruder that ha wrapped itself around my midsection. It's really stubborn! All Bob has to do is eat yogurt for lunch and he loses like 10 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Little Way for becoming a follower of Praeceptorum Deus. I really enjoyed this post because I would like to become a priest. You are quite right in saying that one will definitely run out of time before he runs out of men to pray for. A very refreshing post.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Issac, you're welcome. I will pray for your calling to the priesthood.

    Kelly, Little Flower Perpetual Adoration Chapel at Stella Maris church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're walking there? God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!