Monday, June 6, 2011

The World Wants To Take Us All To Hell

In a Mary Gordon novel I read some years ago, the protagonist said she was going to write a book called "Sex Can Make You Stupid."  I really do wonder if there is any more destructive drive in our world today than the fascination with sex of just about every variety - pre-marital, extra-marital, same-sex relations - you name it.   Nearly all of the most deadly sins plaguing our society can all be traced back to sex as it was never intended to be by God.

If I did what Rep. Anthony Weiner did, I would probably crawl in a hole and stay there for a few years. We're not talking about someone who fell in love with another woman after he married his wife. That would be bad enough.  We're talking about pure, unadulterated sleaze.

Oh, I know.  The media gives it a sophisticated name - hedonism.  Fancy word or not, it can still land someone in Hell.

Last week I tuned into a local sports talk-radio station on my way home from work (see, had I prayed another set of mysteries from the Rosary or an extra chaplet, I would have been spared this).  The host was interviewing a young woman and I listened for about 30 seconds to see why a female was a guest on a show that deals with male-only sports like pro baseball and pro football.  So the host says to her: "So let's see, you basically had sex with any man who took you up on your invitation" and she says "that's right".  I couldn't turn the radio off fast enough.  What kind of society is this when a well-known radio host is falling over himself in adulation of a adulteress, one probably less than half his age?  Why does no one see the tragedy in a young woman giving her body away in that manner?

I have struggled with temptation nearly all my life. At one time or another, many of us have.  It sneaks up on me in the most seemingly harmless ways.  But the more I partake of the sacraments, the more strength I obtain to overcome these temptations.  If you don't feed your body the right things, your immune system cannot withstand every attack.  The soul works the same way.  If we do not put the right things in - frequent prayer, confession and Holy Communion, we leave ourselves vulnerable to the smut and disease of the world.

Terry Nelson has a wonderful post on the way the secular (and sometimes the religious world) tries to sell homosexuality as something normal.  Go read it and spike his stats (not that they need spiking!)

3 comments:

  1. I think men are way worse than women. Just look at the list of recent politicians who are involved in a sex scandle. I don't know what it's like to be a woman, but it seems to me that the temptation is way greater for men. I think it's a biological difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That may be true Manny, but it takes two to tango, right? No one forced the women involved in the Weiner scandal to accept his advances. I do agree with you that the temptation seems greater for men, but the women surely don't help with the way they dress and conduct themselves. I will say that there is something about power that seems to corrupt men in more ways than one. That's why I would avoid politics (and politicians!) at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you say too Joyce. But I have to believe that the majority of politicians are decent people. But the recent list of scandal plagued has been incredibly long.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!