Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's CSA Time Again

Full-fat yogurt from Spring Wood Farm in Gap, PA.


Last year, on a bit of a whim, I decided to join a CSA.  For the uninitiated, CSA stands for community supported agriculture and it gives city folks like me a chance to support a local farmer and at the same time, get some great organic produce at its freshest.  Towards the end of last year, I discovered that Bud, my farmer, carries yogurt that is truly to-die-for.  He gets it from SpringWood Farm in Gap, PA, a certified organic dairy farm run by a Mennonite couple and their eleven children.  The yogurt is full-fat (so I might really die eating it) and if this was a better photo, you'd be able to see the cream top that comes with every quart of their yogurt.  I like to add some maple syrup to it and by the time I get down to the bottom of the bowl, it's like eating a decadent whipped cream.  It really is that good.

Although Bud doesn't grow fruit, he can get it sometimes from other local farmers who do.  As a special treat in this week's pick up, there was this pint of strawberries.  My husband is planning to add some to the yogurt tomorrow morning.

Every Saturday evening, via email, I get a newsletter from Bud about what I can expect in my pick-up this week. It helps with grocery and meal planning to know ahead of time what I'm getting.  I also enjoy the little snippets Bud provides of life on the farm.  Since we can't grow our own vegetables, this is the next best thing. I like the fact that I'm helping a Christian, hard-working farmer support his family and giving my own family delicious, healthy vegetables in return.

1 comment:

  1. It looks good! I'm glad you have a chance to get some really fresh produce, probably more healthy than from the big corporate farms.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!