Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Budding Catholic Apologist Daugther

Rebecca is finishing her freshman year in high school.  One of her closest friends is a Jehovah's Witness.  I really like this child.  She wears a skirt to school every day as well as a snood (not sure it has anything to do with being a witness, but her modest look is much appreciated in contrast to low-rise jeans and high rise midriffs, etc). She has also being going at  it quite a bit with Rebecca about the veracity of our faith.  Rebecca is not quite ready to stand on her own (who doesn't need a bit of help on occasion when it comes to defending the faith?) so she'll bring an argument home to me and ask me to help her with a good response.  I finally decided to just give her my copy of Patrick Madrid book "Answer Me This!" and she is most happy to report that she has left her little friend speechless, a first.

As much as I do not like that someone of another faith is trying to lure my daughter from the One True Church, I can think of worse things and I like the way their debates are helping Rebecca understand her own religion better.  At least they are not discussing boys or Lady Gaga.  (BTW, the Phillies Phanatic mocked Gaga as well as anyone could last night - the announcer at first thought he was dressed as a "floozy" until his counterpart corrected him.  Sorry, had to mention that!)

Rebecca has been invited to visit a Kingdom's Hall with her friend and I told her I might permit it if her friend will first come to a Catholic Mass with us.  Her friend told her she couldn't do such a thing because she is a Witness and Rebecca told her she would not visit the Hall for the very same reason - that she is a Catholic.

Our home is full of Catholic symbols and devotions and her little friend is welcome here any time.  One of these children may wind up getting converted, and I'm happy it won't be my Rebecca!

7 comments:

  1. What a moving little story, I really sense strength and courage in your post, and as a parent, I am sure that is a terrifying thing to admit you must do.

    I will keep this in prayer today, and am so glad you are willing to let your daughter be brave and fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe, but I can't take credit. She entered this little battle of her own volition. Your prayers are most appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologetics are a great way for the young to strengthen their faith. Arguing with a Calvinist in high school changed me from a lukewarm Catholic into a devout one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biedrik, I agree, and I see you are not only a devout Catholic but a seminarian as well. Rest assured I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My argumentative Anglican friend forced me to find out what my faith is all about. And at Biblical School, I heard story after story after story of conversion because of people like your Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank, I shall pray for you likewise. I must say, my Calvinist friend is in some part responsible for getting me into seminary, since debating him revived my faith. No doubt he'd be horrified if he knew that he inspired the papist in me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Biedrik, I have been praying that my daughter will have a vocation to the religious life, if it please God. I'm not sure a Jehovah's Witness will have the effect on her that your Calvinist friend had on you, but I can still hope and pray.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!