Wednesday, June 15, 2011

If the Lord Loves a Cheerful Giver...

.  ... then why are so many Catholics cranky when it comes to helping the poor in any way shape or form through taxes?  I know, many say they believe charity should come from the home and voluntarily, not siphoned out of paychecks by Uncle Sam. I dunno.  I just don't feel that attached to my money.  Our neighborhood has seen a dramatic influx of immigrants from Mexico.  Thanks to them, some of the Catholic churches have actually had to add Masses to accommodate them.  They bring a welcome family presence amidst the growing number of God-less, rainbow-flag waving people who have invaded the neighborhood.  They're hard-working salt-of-the-earth humble little folks just trying to get by on a modest living.

Some of my fellow Catholics don't see it that way.  They see them as law-breaking poachers taking what does not rightfully belong to them.  Tell you what.  If you think the little Mexicans who empty the dumpsters and bus the tables at the row of chic restaurants around the corner are poaching jobs that Americans want, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I don't particularly enjoy going to work every day.  But work I must.  In all honesty, I've never been one to obsess over a checkbook that doesn't balance to the penny.  In other words, I don't much care about money.  I know there are cheats, but they are by no means limited to the ranks of welfare queens and illegal immigrants.  And if an innocent child or two is helped by a program that has its share of cheaters, oh, well!  I simply cannot begrudge a struggling immigrant family simply because they didn't enter the country through the front door.  It's not like it's made easy for them.

When Christ beckoned the faithful young man who wished to follow Him more closely to give up all he owned and donate it to the poor, He never qualified who the poor were.  When He beckoned the disciples to give to all who asked of them, He didn't admonish them to first determine if they entered the country legally.

I know who most closely resembles Christ, and it's not the politicians who have sought to vilify simple folk satisfied with food on the table and a roof over their heads.

1 comment:

  1. I think money has a way of really exposing the heart..both it's acquisition or loss. I always thought of myself as someone detached from material possessions...until I lost them.
    I have little patience for people who talk trash about the struggling poor...maybe they'd change their tune if they ever had to walk a mile in their shoes.
    Blessings, Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!