Monday, March 21, 2011

Empire of the Sun

I'm not sure why, but the events in Japan following the earthquake had me thinking about this movie.  It's one of my favorite Speilberg films, but it's painful to watch.  I was thinking about this scene, the last one in the movie, when I watched Japanese children searching for their parents in shelters set up to house the displaced. The actor is then 13-year-old Christian Bale, and I've heard but haven't verified that  the voice singing "Suo Gan" was his.


4 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie but I've been tempted to pick up the novel from which it was based. This was a touching clip. I should look for the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my top five favourite movies also.
    Suo Gan is, of course, a Welsh song and very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the movie, but I just cried my eyes out watching this short little clip!! I'll have to watch it for sure now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard, I love the scene where Jim sings Suo Gan as the Japanese pilots are taking off for their missions. It's a wonderful movie, just very difficult for me to watch. I liked Nigel Havers' character.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!