Monday, March 7, 2011

Fastnachts the Easy Way

I don't know that these merit the title of fastnachts.  First of all, I cheated and used a bag of donut mix from Kaufman's.  All I had to do was add water and yeast and hot mashed potatoes.  Well, I was feeling too overwhelmed to make the potatoes, so I decided to add apple cider instead of water, and the result is delicious.  Here is one lone donut before being devoured by The Boy and the tray full of what was left after Becca and I had one.  They're odd looking, but they're delicious, if I don't say so myself.  I turned the oven on very low and set the dough on the gas range so that the heat would help it to rise.  It worked beautifully.  I don't have a deep fryer, so I have to figure out a way to have get all of them to come out evenly.  It always happens that the end of the batch comes out darker than the beginning.

Warm and wonderful

They're on the weird side, appearance-wise, but still delicious


And, wonders never cease.  I got some help from The Drummer.  He mixed and kneaded the dough for me while I got dinner together.  This about the 5th year in a row I've made these, and I don' t think the kids are going to let me off the hook for them from now on.  It's a nice little pre-Lenten tradition, even if I nearly did set the frying pan ablaze when some oil spilled onto the bottom of the pan.  But that's a whole other story she says, writing through the haze of the smoke-filled house.

One more day.  I can hardly wait.

4 comments:

  1. Those look great! I hope my mother is making something really good for tomorrow. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your mother will do much better than this. Send photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will probably feel better about how yours look when I put pics up of mine, unless I stumble on the pretty food gene before this afternoon. Doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Joyce. I posted yesterday on my blog pictures of my mother's carnival cake.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!