Saturday, March 19, 2011

Small Blessings and Mercies

Wholly undeserved on my part were God's many small blessings today.  My oldest brought our lovable chihuahua pug mix home because she has to work all weekend.  I realized that Caitlin is lonely.  She doesn't want to move back home, but she misses us nonetheless, so having Gigi for sleepovers has brought her some comfort, like her well-worn teddy bear.

Rebecca lectored at the Vigil Mass for the first time this evening.  She had some mixed feelings about this.  She wanted to do it, but she was somewhat nervous at the same time.  I had her go over the readings several times this week.  She was still a little nervous and her voice shook just a little bit, but she was very reverent, modestly dressed and I think she provided a good example for other young people in our parish.  One of the adults who also lectors knew it was her first time, so he went into the sacristy before Mass to offer her a few words of encouragement and to remind her that lectoring is not something to be done for individual glory but simply in service to God.  Incidentally, we aren't the kind of people who feel we have to "do" something at Mass, but ours is still largely a Novus Ordo parish and as such, often in need of altar servers and lectors.

My parents surprised Rebecca by coming to the Mass tonight.  My father had a thorough medical exam on Wednesday and shocking as it seems, he was pronounced totally fine by the doctor.  We were worried that he might be accumulating fluid on the brain again as a result of the injury he had five years ago, but the doctor thinks he had a sinus infection that hit him hard but left no residual damage.  He does not feel my father should be sent for a driving test, which I still think is unfortunate.  However, I at least have my mother's word that when they want to take a long ride to Lancaster, they will ask and I will take them.

My son's grades are emailed to me every Friday.  Shocking as it is, the kid who barely made it out of the first grade has maintained an A in French all year.  When he told me what language he planned to take, I was a bit taken aback.  I thought Spanish would be easier for him, but I know he wanted to do something he thought would please me.  I am by no means fluent in French, but I think it's a beautiful language and I had hoped that the girls would take it.  Neither did.  Matt and I can have a private conversation and neither one of them is privy to it.

On Thursday, I was stopping by one of my many areas of responsibility to see how my nurses were faring and I happened upon a CD of Gregorian chant.  I was very surprised to learn to which nurse it belonged, which is further proof that no book should ever be judged by its cover.   We had a little chat about it and it turns out she loves chant and sacred music, so I brought her some of my CD's on Friday.  I had one Brown Scapular left, so I took a chance and asked her if she'd like to have it.

"I thought you'd never ask."

Why dear Lord? Why oh why are You so good to a wretch like me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy for you Joyce. Those are great blessings. None of us are deserving but we all get blessings. Just thank the Lord. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!