Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Weight of the World


I went to a lovely retreat today at the Carmelite Monastery in Philadelphia.  From 9am after Mass until 4pm,  the Blessed Sacrament was exposed.  Seven hours in the company of Jesus in one of the most beautiful places in my world.  Frankly, I didn't know where to begin today.  So many people have asked for my prayers that I feel like if I spent all of my free time praying, I still wouldn't get around to everyone.  It would have been enough just to concentrate on the crisis in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia without the devastating events in Japan.  Is it me, or does it seem like there has been an acceleration of catastrophic events?  Yesterday's tsunami made Katrina look like a rain shower.

I'm certainly not in a position to read God's mind, but it has crossed my mind that we could be seeing the Beginning of the End.  When I heard the news about the earthquake  yesterday, I sent my lukewarm Catholic daughter a text message, which I borrowed from the marquis of a protestant church a few blocks away.

Repent Now - Avoid the Rush on Doomsday!

Having a family member separated from God is like discovering the house is on fire in the middle of the night and realizing you can't get everyone out.  There are countless souls who are at risk of falling into hell.  I don't want to have to face God and tell Him I didn't do all I could to help save them.

10 comments:

  1. Oh...you got to the Monastery! I heard the silent retreats are really wonderful. I can never go since I work Saturdays. I hope you receive many blessings.

    Yes...it is so hard when close ones are away...in my case, I feel like it is my whole extended family and I have the weight on my shoulders since I am the only practicing Catholic.

    Let us pray and always be ready to meet Him whom we love with all our souls.~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I feel too, Joyce..like there's an urgency to get everyone out out of the fire before it's too late. I pray for our young people...Lord help them to return to the faith.
    Your retreat sounds like the Lord provided a 'stream in the desert'. Glad you had a great day.
    +PAX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa, yes the silent retreats are wonderful. I think today was the best one yet. We usually have 2 conferences, one in the morning and one in the afternoon with time for adoration and confession, etc. in between. Fr. McGoldrick had 4 conferences and they were all outstanding. It was a wonderful way to begin Lent. I may expound on some of what he taught us in the next few days or so.


    Caroline, yes it was just that. I learned so much today and it was just the counsel I needed to strengthen my prayer life. People spend hundreds of dollars to see some silly entertainer. This cost $25 and the information was priceless.
    Peace
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn...now I am terribly jealous : ) He is a wonderful priest with a Carmelite heart! I would LOVE if you could share some of his words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa, I'm pretty sure Fr. recorded his talks. A fellow blogger, Kelly @ A Mom for Life, the unconventional family, belongs to his parish and she will find out for us if the talks will be available. I don't know that I can do the conferences justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I follow her blog. That would be great. Where is he assigned currently? He used to be here in NE Philly years ago. He does the Novenas at the Monastery quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. St. Monica's in South Philly, where Father Check had been stationed until he was sent to Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce...I didn't see a contact email for you. Do you prefer not to be contacted *off-blog*? If you want to send your email (only if you are comfortable), mine is carmelitemom@verizon.net
    If not...no worries : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa
    j-roman@comcast.net Email me any time I don't mind in the least.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will ask him about whether the talks will be available. I do plan to talk about a few of the points, but you said it right Joyce, that one wouldn't be able to do it justice by recounting it.
    And yes, having four of my seven not yet in the Church causes me to have a continual prayer in my heart, and many a pang. Funny, the eldest, the middle and the youngest are Catholic. So the rest are surrounded! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!