Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Transfiguration of Our Lord


The Lord, it is said, appeared to Peter, James and John in all His Glory so that when the horror of the crucifixion took place, they might have something to strengthen them and assure them that He would indeed be resurrected.  I like to think that the Lord has given me a kind of reverse transfiguration from time to time.  Every time I get too big for my breeches, He casts His powerful light upon  my soul so that I can see how very imperfect it is.  Like lightning that illuminates the night sky and reveals that which the darkness conceals, so it is with the Lord and me.  I see the sins of my past and the ones that cling to me like poison ivy and I realize how very much work I have ahead of me to earn eternal life.

In the words of St. Therese:  "Oh my God, what then shall we see?  What will be this life which will have no end?  The Lord will be the soul of our souls. O, unsearchable mystery!"

No rest for the weary.

9 comments:

  1. I find great comfort in the way Peter, James, and John responded to the Transfiguration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Transfiguration is the core of my
    faith, next to the Cross and Resurrection.

    I like what you say about the shining of
    Christ's light into our hearts to show
    us our failings.

    Pax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Pete, not too much longer til the Great Vigil of Easter. You must be looking forward to your Confirmation and First Holy Communion. It will be here before you know it.
    God Bless
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post & blog..I will link to you..perhaps you might to mine..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, sure thing, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the homily Father gave today in which how important it is to realize that we can't always be still, in prayer, contemplating God. At some point we have to *come down from the mountain* and serve others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite passages from the Gospels, and boy did I need it today. Ever since the day after Ash Wednesday when I got really sick with fever something inside me snapped and had me regress in devotion. I don't know why. It had been over a week and despite telling myself of my love for God, I just couldn't muster the energy for it. Perhaps that was a reverse transfiguration. Until this passage at mass today. And Father Veras did a great job with the homily as he turned the reading into all our little transfigurations. I needed it and felt God again. Boy it's so important to get a good homily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that idea of a reverse transfiguration and bringing to light all the things within me that need His illumination. A priest once told me that without humility...you'll go no where in the spiritual life.
    +PAX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks...the process is interesting and
    I pray that it continues for many years.

    Even finding myself in purgatory will be
    a blessing, as that process will be one
    which brings me into full communion with
    the Church triumphant.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!