Thursday, February 10, 2011

At What Price, Beauty?

I am a poor excuse for a woman sometimes.  I spend very little time each day on hair and make-up, if I even bother putting any on.  I do my best to look presentable, but I lack the talents that seem to come naturally to many women.  I was no help to my two girls at all when it came to braiding hair or sweeping it into a captivating up-do.  Rebecca can only thank God that she had Caitlin as an older sister.  Caitlin saved the day on more than one occasion when she needed hair help.  Which brings me to this latest indulgence in my idiosynchrosies. 

I waited too long in between appointments, so the roots are coming in and my hair is too long.  I called my usual stylist, but she's booked for the next two weeks.  So I told her I have to go somewhere else, and that didn't go over well.  I was one of her first clients when she opened and now she's so busy, she can't even squeeze me in.  My only options are to wait it out and look worse than I do now, wear a mantilla in public for the next two weeks,  or go to the one stylist who can fit me in this weekend, a gay gentleman who used to do my hair years ago.  He's been in the news quite a bit because he wants to marry his partner and Pennsylvania does not allow marriages between people of the same sex. 

If I had any guts, I'd go to my old stylist and when he begins to tell me about his latest efforts to be able to marry his partner, I'd listen and then tell him how I came back to the Catholic church.  But I don't have any guts, so I'll be investing in a box of Root Rescue (or whatever the stuff is called) and hope that no one notices how badly I need to have my roots done. 

4 comments:

  1. This is what happens to hairdressers who forget who made them profitable. LOL. I completely sympathize. I am in between jobs and so have been unable to see a hairdresser. Try Garnier hair coloring, do it yourself, but get herbashine. That is what some haridresser told me. It has no peroxide. So, if it goes wrong it is harmeless!

    Can I tell you how much I love your blog? I only read a handful and yours has been added to my short list. It is a gem.

    I recently discovered the Carmelites in Philly through vocation station at Phatmass. Someone posted about them. Then I read your comments at Abbey Roads and what would the first positng be about but the Silent Retreat. I am in Bethesda, Maryland. I am tempted to sign up--even take the train for the day....

    Good luck with the hair!

    +Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, you should try and join us! yes, I read that Phatmass story about the Philadelphia Carmel also. If you want to go, email me at
    j-roman@comcast.net and I'll forward you the flyer to sign up. If you can't make the retreat, bear in mind the nuns have a novena to Our Lady of Mt Carmel in July and then a triduum to St. Therese at the end of September leading up to her feast day.
    Thank you for your kind comments about the blog. I'm tehcnically challenged so it's not as visually interesting as it could be, but it workds for me.

    God bless you!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. be thankful that you are naturally beautiful and that you don't NEED the trappings. If I go out without makeup I invariably am asked if I'm not feeling well. I need make up just to look alive.2. I hear ya about the gay stylist. I am chicken when it comes to talking about that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!