Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shaken, But Not Deterred

Sometimes,  it's hard to see that line that separates doing what's right from crossing a boundary reserved for God alone.  Admittedly, I am often fumbling along, hoping that I'm doing and saying the right thing.  If I do all  for the Glory of God and not for the sake of winning accolades for myself, I feel certain I'm on the right path.  The rub is making sure what I'm doing really is for God's glory and not my own.

I have been struggling with the things I say to those who think I should just keep my mouth shut about abortion.  I can never, ever stand in judgment of someone else.  Nor can I abdicate what the church teaches about the sanctity of life for fear of offending someone.  Sometimes the accusations are painful and at others, they're personal attacks that make me angry.  If I respond in kind, I am no longer acting on behalf of the truth but on my own agenda.  That can't happen, ever.

I have also been struggling with the prayers and novenas that I am asked to offer for others.  Someone said to me the other day, in an almost accusatory tone: "Why does God always give you what you ask for?"

First off, that's misleading.  My prayers are always answered, but they're not always answered in the way that I had hoped they would be.  I simply don't ask God why.  First off, He's probably not going to answer, at least not in this life and secondly, to ask would mean I did not have faith that He knows best.  Once we surrender our will to His, it no longer matters why.

I was thinking today that I should not talk about praying for others, at the risk of sounding like a braggart of sorts.  Some of the favors I have been granted made  the hair on my neck to stand up and goosebumps to break out on my arms.  This frightens me, not because I doubt the power of God, but because I might lose sight of the fact that I am a nothing, a shameless beggar standing with cap in hand, pleading with God to grant a favor.  This was on my mind when I went to bed last night, as well as this  morning at Mass.  Then I heard today's Gospel from St. Mark and I thought how amazing it is when Scripture seems to speak so loudly, just when we need it.


Mark 9: 38 - 40


John said to him, "Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us."

But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me.

For he that is not against us is for us.

11 comments:

  1. God's will is complicated. We almost never get our way. I almost never pray for things or change the direction of events. I pray to glorify God and thank Him for his many blessings and no matter what may happen to continue to recieve His blessings.

    I will never tolerate anyone that openingly supports abortion. Abortion is so wrong in every way. It feels so degrading just to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way. "Shaken, but not deterred"? What are you the James Bond of Catholic blogging. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her name is Emily. She is a teen with two younger siblings. Emily was born with Spina Bulfida.
    The surgeries have been countless.
    The pain worse.

    Emily's mom, Shannon, proceeds through life always on duty for a child in pain, and working outside the home as well. Shannon and her spouse kept this child, raised her in pain, and now, go to surgery anew on Friday, February 25th, 2011.

    Shannon said goodbye to her coworkers for the next several weeks. One coworker, who knows nothing of prayer, knows enough to blog and ask anyone who does know how to pray, please do so.
    For Emily and Shannon and husband.
    For the doctors and staff, and therapists.
    And that Emily be released from this prison during this new surgery.....forever.

    Given this post, I thought this would be a good spot to ask prayer for the above folks, and all their needs now, and needs to come, that coworkers and friends and doctors come to God in awe of what He will do.....because you asked Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manny, that's why I aded the "but", because it struck me too after I posted it. I'm not that creative, believe me :-)

    Keystone, certainly I will remember this family, and I'm sure those who read your comment will do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling of responsibility that cones with talking about such weighty issues, and doing so as a wanting/struggling/hoping/striving to be faithful Catholic. Prayer can't ever be a bad thing. Even the "worst" prayers are cries to God and count for something! Telling us about your answers to prayers is a WONDERFUL thing. (Rejoice with those that rejoice...) I'm sure if you told us about all the prayers you have no idea how they turned out, or didn't go ask requested, we would see the balance.

    That said, Keystone--count mine in as well.

    The name's Joyce. That's all, just Joyce. "Vodka martini. Plenty of ice, if you can spare it." lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I have gotten my way so much that it actually frightens me.

    And Keystone, I will pray for this family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ten lepers were healed after washing themselves.
    One went back to see Jesus Christ and he said:
    "Hey, I really wanna thank you for what you did for me".

    But Jesus said:
    "Were not ten of you healed?
    Where are the other nine?"

    I always love that story of Christ doing healing.
    I asked prayers for healing too and many respond this day. But the above story reminds me to always be a "ten", never one of the "nine".

    "So, I really wanna thank all of you for what you did for Emily and Shannon and family, by praying."

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no point in having a Catholic blog if you don't put it to good use for the sake of others. Keystone, I prayed that if God does not see fit to take some of this family's pain away, that He will continue to give them the strength to bear whatever He sends them. I think He must love little Emily very much to allow her to have a share in His suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen Amen Amen to what you say Joyce.
    Though I specified the prayer, who and why, the spectrum of all of your prayers is hitting a much wider array of people than I have noted. God is at work on a soul involved.

    There is much more to the story, but I can not break a confidence to tell it. We will all one day know precisely what happened as a result of these prayers, just not yet.

    And I remain thankful that you and your audience responded to be a part of it.
    One person in this event does not understand, nor believe, total strangers would pray for them.
    The Holy Spirit is now on center stage in their life, working to tranform and renew, a fully grown child of God.

    The person has no clue to the existence of this blog, or post, or prayers.
    God will tell them.
    Not me.
    This is a good ending to a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Keystone, you are way too kind to me. I thank you for your honesty and for acting on behalf of this child and her family.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!