Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Looking Forward to Lent

Unlike a few years ago, when Ash Wednesday fell so close to the Feast of the Presentation that all the churches in Rome were in a bust to take down their presepios....Lent comes a little later this year.  I've heard some priests mock giving up chocolates or other food or drink as something only children do.  Those priests have never seen me when I have to go more than a day without a Pepsi.  Still, I do think as we get older, there are more spiritually enriching exercises we can engage in.

Someone wishing to remain anonymous asked if I could give some suggestions for ways to observe Lent.  Here are some suggestions.  Because I listed it doesn't mean I've necessarily been successful at it.  And by all means, please feel free add other ideas in the combox.

Daily Mass


Maybe your work schedule or children's needs make it nearly impossible to get to daily Mass.  Make a plan to try to attend at least one Mass in addition to your Sunday obligation and see where that takes you.  If you don't go to daily Mass because you're too tired to get up in the morning, make an effort to get to bed that much earlier.  Think of Sts. Therese and Faustina, who, even in their extreme illnesses, would do everything possible to receive the Eucharist each day.

Adoration


I would bet many of you are already regulars.  Take it one step further.  Try fasting for a few hours before-hand.  If this is out of the question for medical or other reasons, try to do some small penance while in the chapel, such as adding a layer of clothing.   I have to tell you that ever since I discovered that St. Therese would not so much as cross her feet while sitting, I have major guilt when I do this at Adoration.  It's a small price to pay when you consider the position Our Lord held on the cross for 3 hours.

Be Nice to Someone Who Drives You Nuts


You know who that is, that person who manages to push all your buttons.  Maybe an unexpected act of kindness would be giving them a phone call or inviting them to dinner.

Do Something Small  but  Nice for Someone in Need


I think an oft-overlooked lesson in the loaves and fishes Gospels is that when we give from what little we have, God repays us ten-fold.  When you go grocery shopping, take one of your favorite things out of the cart and put it back and put whatever you would have spent on that item aside for Operation Rice Bowl or some other Lenten alms-giving program.  Maybe your church collects gift certificates to supermarkets for those in need.  Take the money you'd spend going out to lunch or on some small luxury item and use it to buy a food gift card for a family or a single person in need.

Don't Let Your Right Hand Know What Your Left is Doing


Doubt it would be an issue for any of you, but just in case...  resist letting others know to the best of your ability.  St. Therese lamented that she could not perform acts of sacrifice without Our Lord knowing about it.  She felt that He would feel bound to repay her and she wanted to spare Him the trouble.

Go Out on a Ledge and Invite a Lapsed Catholic to Mass


I was shocked to death when I did this and my neighbor said yes.  Of course, I don't know if she's gone since, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Support Your Parish


I don't just mean financially.  If your parish has special devotions for Lent, such as Stations of the Cross, try to get to every one possible.  It may seem hard at first, but when Lent is over, you'll be wishing you still had these devotions to get to.  The answer to that, of course, is to replace them with others, such as Adoration.

Reading Scripture


Father S pointed out on his now defunct blog that while it's noble to read what the saints have written, there is nothing to compare to the words Our Lord Himself spoke.  I need to do this more often, and Lent is as good a time as any.

Make Someone the Focus of Your Prayers and Sacrifice


It need not be anyone you know personally, though that would work too.  Maybe it's your hair stylist who's living in sin, or your co-worker who's practicing wicca. Maybe it's the alcoholic you've seen sleeping on a park bench.

Before You "Vent" About Someone, Pray for Them First


This is advice given to me by one of my confessors.  Chances are if you do this, you won't need to vent after all.

Pray for Bloggers Who Have the Audacity to Offer Advice to Others


Particularly yours truly :-D

5 comments:

  1. Thank you- this gives me some additional ideas. I shared them with some of my friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to go to Mass daily as a
    regular practice...I am grateful to have
    the chance to do so.

    I want to be in as perfect as a state of
    grace as I can be for Confirmation.

    Thankfully Old St Joseph's & St.Augustine's
    have noon Masses which I can walk to.

    I like your suggestions.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas.

    I gave up my addiction to Diet Pepsi last lent and haven't gone back. That is still astounding to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've mentioned this a couple of times, but last year I watched The Passion of the Christ in little segments at lunch time at my work computer. Loved it. This year I'm watching Jesus of Nazareth. So watch a religious movie on your lunch break if work allows it, or listen to religious music on your commute or lunch hour.

    How about read more religious blogs! You guys have motivated me to be more holy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manny those are also great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!