Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For the Love of God

A silly thought occurred to me tonight at Mass.  I like to pray my own litany of Saints after receiving Holy Communion, and being a creature of habit as previously noted, I call upon each saint in a particular order.  Usually St. Teresa of Avila comes right before St. Catherine of Sienna, and I messed up the order, which made me think how ordinary women might react to a perceived slight of any kind.  The saints, I am sure, are happy to oblige to my daily plea to pray for us.  What they couldn't care less about is adulation and in particular, in what order I call them.  They have everything they could ever want in Heaven, true, but it's how they lived on earth that made them extraordinary enough to merit that capital "S". On earth, as in Heaven, they put Christ before all things, most particularly their own wants and needs.  Hard to imagine saints having egos.  If I want to have union with Christ, I must rid myself of mine.

2 comments:

  1. That's a powerful lesson for me. I am sure "I" would perceive a slight. Therefore "I" am not near the capital "S"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owie, that's a tough one--but true.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!