Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Saturday Meditation on the Presentation of Our Lord


The following was written by Father Richard Veras for The Magnificat Rosary Companion.

Simeon tells the young mother that a sword of sorrow will pierce her heart. Mary does not recoil. Her yes remains pure and uncompromised. Her joy is still complete! There is no place this presence cannot go. There is no darkness or suffering it cannot pierce. Even in the depths of the human heart, even in that place where we can mistakenly think that we are alone, even there abides the Presence of the One Who says "I am!" Mary does not begin from absence, she begins always from the Presence. The words of Simeon are spoken within the eternal echo of the words of Gabriel: "The Lord is with you." Before Jesus can even utter the words, Mary already rejoices in His promise: "I am with you always." It is not a strong will that withstands Simeon's ominous prophecy, but love. Mary places all her hope in the presence of God, who is Love. At the end of the Annunciation, the angel Gabriel left her, but the One to whom her yes is directed remains for ever.

"It is not a strong will that withstands Simeon's ominous prophecy, but love"

What a beautiful thought to reflect upon...




4 comments:

  1. Joyce, unless there is another Fr Richard Veras, that's my pastor at my church. Here this is my parish: http://www.saintritas.net/parish.cfm?subpage=304498

    I suspect that's the same Fr. Veras. I know my Fr. Veras has written books and has written for the magazine Magnificant. Let me tell you, he gives the best homilies. I pray that I get Fr. Veras at my Sunday service. I listen and I'm awed by how he explains passages and connects them to our lives. The two pastors we have at my parish change around their schedule. So one never exactly knows who is going to serve a particular mass. I don't know if this is a sin but I so hope that Fr. Veras serves our mass. I wish I could give examples of his brilliance, but memory fails me and it would probably take too long to provide one. But you can see it from that passage you quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not a sin Manny. I don't blame you for praying that you will have him as the celebrant. How fortunate for you. I will have to look through the Rosary Companion to see if he has written any other chapters. He sounds truly gifted by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manny, if it is a sin, then we are in trouble! We do get a schedule for which priests serve the next week's Sunday mass, and we USE it! :) We have been blessed to have some wonderful homilists and we want to get every ounce of teaching possible. :) But I agree with Joyce--don't think it is a sin to want good teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to comment on the painting you posted--I've seen this one on our calendar from time to time, and can't help thinking of it as the "mummified baby Jesus" one. :) But I like it still.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!