Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reach Out and Touch Someone

In today's Gospel from St. Mark, we see two miracles that involve the sense of touch. A woman suffering from abnormal bleeding for years believes that all she has to do is touch the hem of the Lord's garment to receive healing. You can imagine the exasperation of the hapless apostles when Jesus asks them "Who touched my garment?" They respond: "You see the size of the crowd and you want to know who touched you?" Once again, they don't squander an opportunity to give the wrong answer, opening the door to another lesson. Then Jesus is told that a little girl, the daughter of Jairus, has died. Before reaching her house, He told the father that the child was only sleeping. He advises the father to have faith. To the little girl He says: "Talitha cumi", as He takes her by the hand, and she awakes. He then tells her parents to give her something to eat. In Aramaic, talitha cumi means "little maid, arise."

It's not often that the exact words Jesus used appear in the Gospel. In fact, I ask to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe the only other time is when Jesus is in His final agony and cries out to His Father from the cross. Why do you suppose that is?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a patient was very irate about something that happened today that might affect her surgery date. I did everything I could to console her, and even urged her to yell at me if it would make her feel better. I called the surgeon for her to get his reassurance that if she had to be cancelled, he would do all he could to fit her in as soon as possible. She wasn't buying it. She had a right to be angry, and she had every intention of fully exercising it.

What was it that finally won her over? The nurse who had to draw her blood was giving her some instructions and conveying her sympathy for a mix-up that was not her fault. As she was seeing the patient to the door she asked: "Can I give you a hug? I think you need one." And with that, the woman stopped railing at us and hugged the nurse back.

Why didn't I think of that?

At any rate, you'd better believe I called upon the Lord, His Holy Mother and St. Therese to come to this woman's aid. I wanted to say to her "Don't worry, we'll straighten this out, your surgery will be go on as scheduled." I didn't because if there was a glitch, I would have disappointed her for nothing. If I had faith as I should, would I have hesitated? Here I was advising this woman not to let the stress get the best of her, and then all I could think of on the train ride home was "what if"? Would Jesus tell me the same thing He told Jairus?


3 comments:

  1. By using his "exact" words, do you mean the aramaic instead of a translation? Actually those two are the only two I can think of, and if you hadn't pointed out "talitha cumi" I wouldn't have thought of that either. So I yahooed it and there are more than we can remember. Check it out here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_of_Jesus

    I loved the clip. I do have to get the movie. I must see that through for Lent.

    Amazing what a hug can do. The poor woman was hurting inside and need consolation, as well as satisfaction. Now you'll remember to offer a hug next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, there are quite a few Aramaic names, statements, and places in the Bible, including Gethsemane, and Golgotha.

    Last year in the Holy Land, I saw a lot of Aramaic etched in stone in Capernaum area, but have no clue where it is Bible-referenced.

    Matthew 5:22

    But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother [without a cause] shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

    When Jesus said "Raca", that is Aramaic too for empty headed fool.

    The miracles of touch deserve far more discussion here, but I contain my focus to the woman in surgery soon.

    I have one coming up this month and am trying to defer it, until a friend I trust is back from Hawaii. I was unaware that I would be knocked out and it is more of a big deal than I thought.

    This woman, however, can be told by you, that she apparently will trust all in the room with her surgery, even if she is unconscious and anyone could do anything.

    Well, if they can be trusted when she is unconscious, can she trust them while conscious?

    A hug can be a healing moment, or a path to court. A wee bit too hard and a patient may scream agony of pain and get a lawyer.
    So too with hugging a child in these days.
    In substitute teaching, I learned never hug a little one. Indeed, getting them in and out of a bathroom required TWO folks present, to protect one another.

    We have 5 senses. I was at a weekend retreat for the deaf recently.....all obviously have four senses (including me). An interpreter was brought in for three days for me alone, as I am learning ASL (American Sign Language) while others... about 30 folks, and even the priest, were deaf, and fluent in ASL.

    The interpreter gal looked at the signing, and mouthed all to me, and I read her lips. I asked at one point (empty headed Raca that I am) "Does it disturb others when you speak to me?"
    [Duh, they are deaf!]

    She replied that she was making no voice, but only mouthing the words to me. I can not tell volume, and sometimes speak too loud.

    But a questionaire was given on the order of importance of senses. 1 through 5 with 1 being most important.
    All asked were deaf.
    All answered hearing was the least needed sense, 2 were split on other sense needed, and all others answered the sense of touch was the most important sense of all 5.

    I was in awe at the result. My mom was diabetic and often could not feel with her fingertips. She was burned cooking a lot. Sewing became a nightmare as she sewed her needle into herself, and could not feel it.
    This is the basis of leprosy; you cannot feel your extremities being chewed off, or cut, or frozen...no feeling. Soon, your vital parts are destroyed and you appear grotesque, causing others to run from you.

    Alienated and alone, you wither in your spirit and soul.
    "Who touched me?" Christ asked. Elsewhere, he proclaims "I felt power leave me".
    There is power in touch.

    When I come to shake hands in the moment for "Giving Peace", I look across the aisle, behind and in front, to see who has NOT been touched. It is written on the lonely lines of their face, and that moment allows me to touch them freely. I can hear the echo of Christ in the "Peace Be With You" shaking hands, saying "Who touched Me?" at every Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Keystone, for that insight and for sharing your experience at the retreat. A very beautiful reflection. I think you should start a blog :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!