Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Creatures of Habit

The Lord apparently decided today would be a good day to try my patience.  It began with some jackass paging me at 1am.  This has been happening more and more so I finally asked to have a new number assigned to me so I can get some sleep.  Then I get to Mass with barely enough time to say a few decades of the Rosary and I notice someone is in the pew where I normally sit.  Had this been a newcomer, I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but the poacher was someone I normally see.  This is the only time I have a "regular" seat.  Most of us who assist as this Mass sit in the same exact spot.  It throws everything off when someone else is in your pew.  But really, it's not that big a deal, except when you make the mistake of sitting in front of the poacher and they spend the entire Mass sniffling and then clearing their throat instead of just blowing their nose.  I know that somewhere around the 10th snort, I threw my shoulders up.  Shame on me.

St. Therese is reported to have become soaked in sweat from the strain of sitting near a sister who clacked her Rosary beads in choir.  Eventually, Therese came to hear that sound as so much music that came to embody the sacrifice of enduring that torture which she offered daily to the Lord.

"Everything in the religious life has much value", she said. "Pick up a pin from a motive of love and you may save a soul."

If that's so, then I pray at least 20 souls were loosed from Purgatory today.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe a few got loosed on my account too. But I have not suffered gladly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh! I hope it wasn't Bob! I planned to go with him, but the Sick came back upon me in a wave, and after teaching CCD last night, I was wrung out. (I broke down and went to the doc today)--so he went to mass on his own.
    I am particularly sensitive to mouth-noises. I practically jump out of my skin. It is work to offer my annoyance, as I always feel badly for being so bothered to begin with. So--I hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Kelly, LOL, it was NOT Bob. I wasn't able to get there today and won't tomorrow either because of 7am mandatory meetings ugh! But I will hopefully get to St. Rita's tonight and I might skip out after the meeting tomorrow and go to the church near my work. I don't know why people aren't aware of how even the slightest noise can annoy others, let alone the ones who snort, sniff, etc while sitting DIRECTLY behind someone. oh, well, at least we have a Mass to go to, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. inconsiderate noises are like being scourged
    at the pillar. I object to a kneeling bench
    thudding on the floor.

    Last week at OSJ there was 3 or 4 people
    with congestion/sinus issues and they
    were quite a distraction.

    I brought to mind all the sick people that
    Christ called to his presence.

    So Mass is that place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i was a postulant, i used to loathe the way a brother monk chanted in choir across from me. and i had to stare at him & listen to him and blah blah blah ... no i didn't suffer gladly and more's the pity. my spiritual director used to say 'keep your eyes in your own choir stall.' i still try to practice that in the cubefarm at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well doughboy then I shudder to think what your spiritual director would say to ME. If suffering gladly was easy, they wouldn't call it a trial.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!