Saturday, February 12, 2011

A First

My hair saga came to an end today.  I was fortunate to get the last appointment of a new stylist at a neighborhood salon.  It turns out he went to the same college where my oldest daughter went for equine studies before she decided she didn't want to earn a living mucking stalls. Apparently, he decided the same thing.  Anyway.... he did a very nice job, if I don't say so myself.  So nice, that I didn't want to ruin my hair with a hat.  But I was going to Mass at noon, followed by Adoration, and I didn't want to go without covering my head.  So I did it.  I wore my brown mantilla.  I decided to offer up all the stares and second looks I got, and there were a few, in reparation.

I made my First Holy Communion in 1967.  If you forgot your veil, you got a tissue bobby-pinned to your head. I never forgot mine, Not once.  I remember the odd feeling of going to Mass without a head covering.  Well, that's how it feels to me now to enter into the Divine Presence without some extra outward  sign of reverence. Now that I got the first time out of the way, it will be easier the next and the next until it becomes second nature.  Maybe it will encourage other women to do the same, and then the gawkers will be less inclined to stare because what they're seeing will not be all that unusual.

In the words of St. Therese, we can never love the good God too much.

4 comments:

  1. Amen, and you go! Can't wait to see the hair! Wait, I only see you in church. Well, perhaps a picture? Plus now we all would like to see! (subtle guilt, lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did your daughter go college? Mine offered Equestrian studies too. I attended William Woods (all girls at the time) in Fulton, MO. We shared classes with Westminster College (all boys at the time). You may know that campus because it is where the Churchill Memorial is- Iron Curtain Speech-and church of St Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury. A piece of the Berlin Wall is there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Philadelphia priest scandal made it to the papers here today. It wasn't just one, but two priests and the monsignor who covered it up. It's just horrible and sad.

    Glad your hair turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Manny. Please give that adorable little Matthew a kiss from me.

    Hi Kathy
    She went to Delaware Valley in Doylestown, PA. It's an agricultural school and it offers many programs including equine management and equine sciences.

    Kelly, yes, the hair is a vast improvement over what it was. I'm not too adept at self-portraits or I'd snap a quick one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!