Monday, February 28, 2011

The Mystery of The Kingdom


Right after my return to the Catholic faith, I discovered that the shrine a few blocks away offered not only daily Mass, confession and adoration, but that the Rosary was prayed each night followed by Benediction of the Most Blessed Sacrament.  That is where I came to love these prayers and the great mysteries attached to them.  The priest always bowed his head at the words "sacrament of your Body and Blood" and I find myself doing likewise.


V. You have given them Bread from heaven 
 R. Having within it all sweetness 


Let us pray: Lord Jesus Christ, you gave us the Eucharist as the memorial 
of your suffering and death.  May our worship of this sacrament of your Body
and Blood help us to experience the salvation you won for us, and the peace of 
the kingdom; where you live with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, 
forever and ever.     
R.  Amen. 

I sometimes wonder what an atheist or non-Christian would think if he ventured into church during Benediction.  And I think that if he could see the love with which the priest elevates the Monstrance containing the Sacred Host, he might be moved to consider  what it is about this ritual that would cause such devotion and reverence.  And I think that if our posture and our expression  reflected the awe of having so sacred a Mystery in our midst, a non-believer could not just walk away, unthinking and unmoved.

I once heard this said by an atheist of the way Catholics nonchalantly receive the Eucharist:

"If I believed what you believe, I would crawl on my  hands and knees to the altar".

How many can't even manage to fold their hands or bow their heads, let alone crawl?

My Jesus, Mercy!  Mary, Pray for Us!

(Photo used courtesy of St. Therese of Carmel.org)

9 comments:

  1. I have to tell this story, which will show once again how silly and ignorant I am. I've been stopping by to a local Eucharist Adoration chapel to pray for about a year or a bit more now. I've been watching people get on the floor in reverence. I genuflect when I cross myself and pass through to a seat but never actually gotten on the floor. Only a little over a week ago did it suddenly dawn on me that inside that thing (now I know it's called a monstrance) is a consecrated host, and therefore Christ. That's Christ himself! I just never thought about it before. I never realized. It just dawned on me suddenly. Well since then I get down on my knees and bow my head in the aisle too before I leave. Suddenly that's become the holiest devotional icon for me, more so than even being in church. I get shivers when i'm there before it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I signed up for a regular hour at the Adoration Chapel, I was given instructions. I am grateful for that. I really hadn't behaved well prior to being given instructions. So, I cringe when I see someone not acting right - because I know I have done the same. When I knew better, I did better, and I suppose they will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is an atheist. The child of non-practicing Methodists, he has always considered my Catholicism mildly exotic and has always been supportive of me. He will make sure I get to mass and chauffeur me to my adoration hours when the roads are iffy. He waits at Starbucks until I'm ready to be picked up again.
    I once tried to explain adoration to him and he burst out, "Oh, is it something like the eternal flame then?"
    I have a wild crazy thought that if I could just get him into a chair at adoration,(he could read a book--not any of his Ayn Rand collection, please) the Lord could maybe soften him up a little.
    I'm afraid to push the thing. But there's so much at stake, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, at least he isn't hostile, that's saying something! We can all add him to our prayer (right everybody? it's a great idea that Joyce has about turning off the car radio!)

    and Manny-it's a wonderful thing that you recognized the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Julie, short of that, I'm sure you already spend your time before the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament praying for your husband's conversion. My husband is not an atheist. He goes to Mass every Sunday and most holy days of obligation, but he thinks he is above confession, adoration, etc.I have tried and tried to institute family Rosary, even if it's just a decade a night, to no avail. Yet for the past few years, the only books he has read were written by St. Augustine. I'm hoping that while I pray to St. Joseph for him to have a more fervent belief, St. Augustine will go to work on him as well. I will keep your husband in my prayers, too .

    Manny, the monstrance is the reliquary, if you will, that holds the Sacred Host. Maybe I'll do an "Adoration" post for those who would like to become an adorer but are unsure of what to do, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. St.A!! Our fave in this house. He dragged my poor Bob back to faith. (lovingly, of course). Fantastic that he is reading him. A smart guy, huh? My synapses sizzle when I go at Confessions, though I go at it about once a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll say a prayer for Julie's husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is remarkable! How great would it be for atheists let alone our fellow Catholics to be drawn to Christ as you have described!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Matthew!
    That is what we pray for and will continue to pray for daily - that others may believe and love Him as we do.
    God Bless
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!