Monday, February 14, 2011

Keeping Priorities Straight and Other Random Thoughts

What does it say about me that I know almost every line in the Godfathers I and II by heart, while St. Therese practically memorized the entire Imitation of Christ?  Not much.

Remember when Tiger Woods held his comeback new conference and announced he was returning to Buddhism?  Rachel Maddow could not control her exuberance that Woods, in her words, "did not kowtow to Jesus".  Given the level  of his play of golf since then, maybe he should rethink that Buddha thing.

I have one sister.  My mother and father would like to have had more children, but my mother had a hysterectomy when she was very young, so it was just us two siblings.  We fought like cats and dogs.  It's still difficult for me to be around her sometimes and keep my mouth zipped.  Still, can you imagine one sibling killing another?  We complain about the violent society that we live in but look at our roots.  Adam and Eve had only just gotten started when Cain murdered Abel.  Not very good percentages when you think about it.

The priest gave no homily at Mass this morning.  Maybe that's not so unusual for an early morning weekday Mass.  At work today, I heard a few people talking about the latest news on the abuse scandal.  One woman reported that her pastor gave no Sunday homily.  I can't imagine such a thing, and I can only begin to imagine the grief, anger and shame that many priests carried with them to the pulpit this Sunday.  I wanted to give my pastor a hug after Mass yesterday, just to let him know we are behind him and feel the burden he carries.  But I'm not an outwardly affectionate person and I think he would probably pass out from shock if I did that.  I normally only extend my hand to priests.  It has everything to do with respect.  I wouldn't presume to grab hold of Christ and plant a kiss on His cheek if I saw Him, and I don't feel it's appropriate for me, as a woman, to hug or kiss a priest unless he initiates the gesture.  I will bring my daughter with me to the Monday evening Novena tonight and that will be enough of a demonstration of support, as we will offer the prayers for the intention of all our faithful priests as well as those struggling to be faithful to their charism.

Aside from being the opening day of Spring Training in Clearwater, Florida, this is also Valentine's Day.  My husband lucked out when he found me, boy.  I don't expect a card, flower or chocolates, I don't like jewelry or fur and I wouldn't be caught dead driving a luxury car.    I got him an encrusted brie I found at Wegman's, with 3 hearts embossed into the crust.  He got me a lobster tail from the bakery.  A lobster tail, for the un-itiated, is a pastry filled with whipped cream and raspberry mousse.  The pastry is made of the same stuff a sfogiatelle is made from.  I look forward to having it when we come back from church.

Happy Opening Day of Spring Training/Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

  1. I don't hug priests either :) But I do pray for them. And shake their hands. I am so sorry this is happening - again.

    And Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We celebrated with homemade chocolate milkshakes!

    I guess I have hugged our priest but it's usually mutual and one of those one-armed, around the shoulder things. We're actually friends with him though. Being in a small rural parish, he knows us all very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've hugged a priest, but he's a family member...lol.

    I've never been to a mass where there was no homily. That must have been stunning. On reflection, it may have been counter productive though. The stain is on the criminal priests, not the church or parishoners.

    I got my wife and mother each a dozen roses, my usual. Roses are beautiful if you ask me. Plus they have a long history as symbols in Catholicism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MC, Happy Valentine's Day to you, too :-D

    Kathy, if I lived at your house, I would weigh 20 lbs more than I do now.

    Manny, I agree with you, roses are beautiful. Very thoughtful of you (and SMART) to get them for both your mother and your wife.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!