Thursday, February 24, 2011

Flawed

I was thinking about this poem by Auden today.  I won't reprint the whole thing here, just one verse.  If you've ever prayed the Litany for Humility, you'll probably relate to this.  We're constantly struggling against our own nature, like salmon swimming upstream, in our journey not only to meet Christ but to be assumed by Him so that we are no longer recognizable.  Cain could not bear that God looked with more favor on Abel's gift than on his.  Had Cain gotten it right, he would prayed for God to favor Abel over him.

That others may be holier than I am, provided I am as holy as I should be.  Lord, grant me the grace to desire it.

The windiest militant trash 
Important Persons shout
Is not so crude as our wish: 
What mad Nijinsky wrote 
About Diaghilev
Is true of the normal heart; 
For the error bred in the bone 
Of each woman and each man 
Craves what it cannot have, 
Not universal love
But to be loved alone.


from September 1, 1939 by W.H. Auden




5 comments:

  1. There's something about Auden's language that always gives me difficulty. Something about the syntax that confuses me. I read a lot of poetry, some way more complicated than Auden's. But I always stumble across his lines. I can't make up my mind if he's just brilliantly original or just overly mannered.

    This is a good poem though. I love these lines from the stanza you quote:
    "For the error bred in the bone
    Of each woman and each man
    Craves what it cannot have,
    Not universal love
    But to be loved alone"

    One can read the entire poem here:
    http://www.johnharle.com/philosophy/articles-philosophy/WHAuden.html
    and the history of the poem here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_1,_1939

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are too smrt for me! lol I love poetry, I am just a bit of a dunce about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, oh why do we want more than we should have? The apple from the forbidden tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelly I'm sure you're not. With a couple of lessons, I think every one can appreciate poetry. We may not understand everything about a poem, but we can all enjoy it. Now truth be told, one of my college degrees is in English literature.

    I've wanted to blog on literature for a while but never seem to do so. I'll try this weekend. I'll take a poem (I'll pick one religious in nature) and run through it and highlight the beauty of it. Stay tuned. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Looking forward to it Manny!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!