Thursday, February 10, 2011

When Past Sins Come to Haunt Us

This week at work, I had to endure a torture known as nursing orientation.   Having been an OR nurse and/or manager for the past 12 years, the times when I had to calculate a drip or start a heparin infusion on someone have been non-existent.  To make matters worse, I forgot my calculator, so I had to do all the math in my head or on scratch paper.  Talk about purgatory!  Anyway, all the discussion about critical lab values and insulin pumps brought back memories of working in a respiratory intensive care unit.

Every so often, I will recall a patient, and then I look back and wonder if everything I did for that patient was in compliance with God's will.  Most if not all of our patients were ventilator dependent.  Many of them did not survive whatever catastrophic illness put them in the unit in the first place.   Today, I recalled a woman who had metastatic lung cancer.  Although she was intubated, she was very "with it" and she made known her wish that since she could not be weaned from the vent, she wanted to die.  I always thought it was a lucky thing for me that I worked night shift because I was never faced with having to withdraw treatment on a patient.  Those things only took place during the day.

Anyway, I was assigned to care for this woman on the evening before the day she decided would be her last.  I was intimidated by this.  How do you care for someone who knows they're going to die?  What do you say to them?   Many of our patients were heavily sedated, but this woman was not.  When I went in to take her vital signs, I asked how her she was and she nodded and shrugged her shoulders as if to say "How could I be in this situation?"  I decided that if she was going to meet her Maker the next day, she was going to be well-groomed.  I gave her a bath, combed her hair, and tucked her in.  She was on a morphine drip, but not enough to zonk her, and she looked as comfortable as someone who is intubated could.  It struck me how much she resembled my grandmother and just then, she reached out and took my hand.  And the way she did it was not so that I could comfort her, but so that she could comfort me.  I think she knew I was ill at ease and feeling awkward.  Shortly after that, she fell asleep, and I didn't speak with her again.  I gave report and said that I had not been able to send a blood gas from her A-line, drawing the ridicule of one of the on-coming nurses. "Why would you need to do that?  The woman is going to die today."

"What if she changes her mind?" I shot back. 

Another time, I had a patient who had never married and lived with his elderly mother.  He had metastatic pancreatic cancer, and he was distorted and swollen and very sick from his illness.  Shortly before he was so sick he needed the vent to breathe, he asked me if he could have the telephone to call his mother.  Because of the condition of our patients, none of the rooms had a phone, but we did have a portable one we could plug in.  I plugged the phone in for him, helped him dial the number, and left so he could speak in private.  To my horror, he told his poor mother he wanted to die and he wanted her to come immediately to say goodbye.  And how I found this out is that the police captain in her town called the hospital and had himself transferred to the nursing station.  The woman had asked the police to take her to her son.  I told the captain I would call her.  She was in hysterics and I felt so awful knowing I had played a part in this by giving her son the phone in the first place. 

Here was this poor little old woman, miles away, and her adult son calls her up and tells her he is suffering and wants to die, and she is distraught not only because she will eventually lose her son, but because she was to see him in such agony?

Why do patients like this cross my mind, after so many years?  Sometimes, I wonder if it's because they're in a place where they need my prayers.  Or, if it's because something I did to provide their care does not sit well with the Lord, and He wants me to repent for it while I can. I am thinking I need to go to confession and talk to a priest about this.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think any of the things you described are sins. To the best of your knowledge you were trying to help each one. Actually everything you did was an act of compassion. You must be an excellent nurse Joyce.

    You brought back memories of my father's last couple of years. Perhaps one day I'll post a full blog on it, but let me just summarily say that he had a severe heart attack from which he survived, was intubated and with therapy got off intubation for about six months, then his heart slowly reduced in strength so that he needed to be intubated for part of a day. He tried so hard to ween himself off the machine, but couldn't do it. He passed on about a year and a half after that second intubation. So I know full well the life in a nursing home. There were time he preferred to have it over with, but he always fought on. My father had an incredible fighting spirit.

    Let me also say that it was his slow end of life struggle that really brought me back to God and the church. There is meaning in all our suffering. I truly believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see where you are seeing sin in those situations. Of course though, do talk to a priest of you feel the need. It sounds to me like you did what you had to do in your job PLUS extra compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not much really touches me, but this post sincerely did. almost to tears. how heart-wrenching for you. and i didn't get from your post anything that you may have done that was wrong. just the contrary. and i think God placed you with those people because they needed you. not just for your nursing skill, but for YOU, a woman of God. ministry of presence. what a gift to them you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't so much worry about what I did or didn't do for these particular patients so much as for some others. Nothing blatant comes to mind, but what if? That's why I think it would be helpful to talk to a priest, just in case. In the case of the woman, I can only thank God I had nothing to do with the withdrawal of care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only every health care provider were as conscientious as you! Please dear Jesus, when I become ill and frail, may I be blessed to have a nurse just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I spent a portion of this past week talking about critical lab values!

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!