Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spectacle on the House Floor

After we say Grace at dinner, my husband takes the television off  mute to hear the news.  Dinner just happened to coincide with the start of ABC's broadcast of national news, and the network chose to lead into their program with the revelation by Rep. Jackie Speier that she had underwent an abortion.  Her speech followed that of Rep. Chris Smith.  However, after reading further about this stunning moment on the House floor, the story isn't quite what you might think.  Sadly for Rep. Speier, she lost a pregnancy at 17 weeks because of what sounds like an incompetent cervix, which is a cervix which cannot withstand the weight of the growing baby and opens suddenly, causing the woman to miscarry.   What she underwent to remove an already-dead baby is a hell of a lot different than what other women "endure" when they decide to abort an already fully formed baby.

The congresswoman was perturbed because she felt that Rep. Smith intimated that women undergo these procedures "cavalierly".  In fact, that's not what I got from his speech.  He was talking about those who perform these procedures.  I worked at a hospital that permitted late-term abortions.  Thankfully for me, I never participated or witnessed what went on, but I talked to enough other people who initially agreed to participate, but quickly changed their minds because of what they saw.  Tiny body parts flying all over the room, including on the doctor's surgical attire, as though the developing child was a tumor that deserved to be hacked to bits.  Some of the babies were aborted because of what's cleverly termed "dysgenetics", but more often than not, they were aborted because their mothers decided they didn't want them and were persuaded that "getting rid" of a pregnancy, no matter how late-term, could be handled as easily as taking out the trash.

When I was pregnant with my son, a friend who was an aspiring midwife lent me two books. One was The Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong.  Penny became a midwife whose practice almost solely encompassed the Amish in Lancaster County, PA.  I highly recommend it. The other book was called Spiritual Midwifery.  It's about a project that started sometime in the 70's by a group who decided to leave society and form their own church and their own community, which they called The Farm.  To this day, I couldn't tell you what their religious beliefs were. I know they weren't Catholic.   I don't think they'd necessarily be insulted if anyone called them hippies.  Until their community was established, they lived in school buses.  Women came to them from all over the country to experience their method of gentle and natural childbirth.  At the end of the book, the midwives devote several chapters to prenatal advice and information on how to sterilize instruments, etc.  But what interested me most were the stories of pregnancies and childbirth that did not go as hoped for. 

It was the practice in medicine some years ago to describe anencephalic babies as monsters because of their grotesque appearance.  As you may know, anencephalic babies do not survive  long after childbirth, if at all, because of a catastrophic malformation of the neural tube, from which the brain, skull, etc arise.  The midwives delivered one such baby.  His parents named him, and he surprised everyone by  clinging to life for a couple of days.  The midwives put a hat on his head to cover his deformity, and for short time that he lived, his parents loved him and cared for him as they would have had he been perfectly formed.  He was alive, and everyone involved recognized how precious a thing that was, that despite the overwhelming odds stacked against him, he not only survived childbirth but stayed in the world long enough to allow his parents time to absorb what happened and to grieve appropriately.

A nurse that I know who once participated in abortions but has since repented and reformed told me of the time an anencephalic baby was delivered at what had been scheduled as an extended D & E, which is just a medically misleading and clever way to describe a late-term abortion.  She had been told the woman was five months pregnant.  She delivered what appeared to be a full-term anencephalic baby.  The staff thought he was breathing and wanted to call the nursery to send the neonatologist.   The doctor quickly wrapped the baby in a drape and attempted to whisk him out of the room. When the nurses objected, he told them the woman knew the baby was deformed, she wanted it aborted, and the child wasn't going to live anyway, and he took the baby from the room.  Quite a stark contrast from the story recounted in Spiritual Midwifery.


The Farm midwives made it abundantly clear that they would not perform abortions, nor would they refer women to practitioners who did .  If this band of so-called hippies, living without indoor plumbing and camping out in buses, could get it right, what's wrong with the rest of society?

My sympathy goes out to Rep. Speier or any woman who loses a baby.  But her speech was misleading and no one should allow the emotions she intended to provoke to blind us to the reality of what PP is all about.  



16 comments:

  1. I've been so angry over this congresswoman's mis representation (lying actually) of her procedure. This was a miscarriage and a removal of a dead fetus. It was not an abortion. And the news media picks up on the lie and carries it on. How infuriating is that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my conversion to Catholicism I have
    realized that abortion is just terrible
    and I can only pray for it's removal from
    anyone's mind as an idea which makes sense.

    may everyone involved be blessed with
    forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpSlSeZ3bU

    You don't know me, but do me a favor and watch this short video. I found myself in the same dire predicament as the subject last year. After three years of aggressively trying to conceive, I found myself pregnant finally and was overjoyed. ...Alas, I also experienced premature rupture of the membranes at 12 weeks. For a month, I remained on bed rest at my doctor's recommendation, on the slim chance that the membranes would repair themselves and allow my amniotic fluid to reaccumulate. Sadly, it didn't go our way. I was told by my doctor that I was unlikely to miscarry on my own, and that with no fluid for the baby to breathe, her lungs would fail to develop; she would immediately suffocate at birth. Meanwhile, the broken membranes would no longer serve as a barrier around the baby...my uterus was suddenly a very rich environment for bacteria. Never mind my already very fragile emotional health. To go full term, I was told, would risk my physical health, my future fertility, and possibly my life should an infection set in (sepsis). Best case scenario: my baby and I would suffer through childbirth and she would immediately die painfully from lack of oxygen.

    I traveled to another city for a second opinion. It didn't change anything, and I had an "elective" second trimester abortion (yes, a D&E, but I am not trying to "mislead" anyone, see?) in November. My husband and I are heartbroken. We are grieving. We are from Catholic families, if it matters.

    I hate to tell you this, but it happens to women all the time.

    And perhaps you think you are morally superior.
    In that case, we will pray for you.

    Finally, people who presume to know the details of Rep. Speier's personal tragedy based on her brief, off-the-cuff, and understandably emotional remarks on Thursday night might want to think twice about calling her a "liar." A compassionate person would understand that the details are between her, her husband, and her Maker, and none of anyone else's business. Do not presume to know all the facts, and that her baby was not alive, as my baby girl was.

    Jackie Speier: My Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly, I think everyone "knows" that abortion is wrong, but have educated themselves into stupidity. (to borrow from Father Corapi)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *very* much appreciate your willingness to publish my comment.
    Thank you ever so much, and Peace be with you. - Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never refuse prayers, so if you feel compelled to pray for me, by all means, do!

    I don't think I'm morally superior to anyone. However, your "hero" chose to make her story public to manipulate public opinion. She chose to take her story from a matter between her husband and her Maker to a matter of public record to lambaste Rep. Smith. Rather than idolize Jackie Speier, you might want to read about St. Gianna Molla.

    I'm sorry for your loss, and even sorrier that you bought into a lie. So did I. That lie is beneath our dignity as women and as children of God. My prayer for you is that you'll see the light, as I did. May God's Will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you clarify, what lie did I (and you) buy into?

    In my opinion, Jackie Speier performed an heroic act when she spoke up for women like me. I do not "idolize" her, I admire her greatly for this reason (and others). We are all human. I feel like you may be trying to manipulate my words to influence opinion.

    I am familiar with St. Gianna Molla, who said "This time it will be a difficult delivery, and they may have to save one or the other -- I want them to save my baby."

    As I explained, mine was not a "one or the other" situation. My baby could not be saved. Are you implying that we should have both been left for dead then?

    I remain grateful that you are willing to have this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I apologize Claudia, but it was you who referred to the woman as your hero.

    The lie that I bought into was that abortion is an acceptable way to deal with a difficult or unwanted pregnancy. If you read my post from January 22nd, you'll see what I'm talking about.

    There is a great irony in what you write in your last paragraph. None of us can say unequivocally what we would have done in your situation. But......Why do we think we're sparing a child suffering by preventing it from being born and then cause it to suffer anyway? Please don't misunderstand. I am not standing in judgment of you or in any way trying to inflict guilt. Many of us stood where you are. I know more than one of us is praying that some day, you'll be standing where we are now.
    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia, I too am sorry about your experience. It sounds like you got terrible medical care. Did you have health insurance?

    In my ten or so years of working on OB, I never heard of a placenta developed enough to rupture at 12 weeks. To my knowledge, the placenta and amniotic fluid doesn't mature until much later in the pregnancy and furthermore, many women had low amniotic fluid and developed healthy children. In fact, I don't ever remember a situation where a life-threatening problem developed for the mother or the child.

    Often, women are told their child will not survive but it does. They're lied to, encouraged to abort their healthy children when there is no danger at all involved in the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness! I must just say here that when I wrote my comment, Claudia's had not appeared yet, and I was responding in a general way to the post in it's entirety, remarking how the simplicity of the midwives contrasted to the way abortion is approached in the media.

    I did NOT hear Mrs.Speier's entire talk, only bits on the news, so I am not able to comment on her.
    I have seven children, I had one abortion, and one miscarriage. I CAN tell you from experience that there are medical professionals who seem pretty invested in telling a woman that she has good reason to abort her baby. My second child was supposed to be Down's. I was strongly encouraged to have an amnio--I didn't, and he didn't. While miscarrying, I was treated like a child for wanting to know the sex of the baby, and for being even slightly upset that it was happening. Also, I underwent more than a little ridicule and snide remarks from doctors and nurses once I got past three children.
    I know these are "mild" examples. I also know the tone of much of the medical community. I don;t know as much as Carol or Joyce, but I do know there are often more alternatives than we are told.
    I AM sorry for what Claudia went through, and I can't say much regarding the actual situation. But I did watch the video she linked. There are lots of people that want to prove there is an acceptable situation for abortion. I have to believe that Christ is the ultimate authority, and as far as I can tell, there is no situation like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~oh and Joyce, if you feel I am off base, feel free to not post my comment. I mean no malice! It is hard to state hard truths without coming off cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i appreciate everyone's comments; i have not been responding because i need time to think about them. i am still in a shaky, vulnerable place following our recent loss. it probably wasn't the best idea i ever had to try and engage you at this time. i felt compelled, mostly because i'm angry that what passes for the republican party these days would much prefer that the general public not know that i exist. i do not believe for a second that chris smith or his ilk truly care about helping/protecting me, or my children, in any way.

    naturally i didn't come here expecting to influence anyone's values. i would just be relieved if we could help each other squash the notion that abortion always (or "most often" or "more often than not") means that the baby was unwanted, unloved, unplanned, inconvenient...or that all parents who choose (technically elective) abortion are irresponsible, unfeeling, unthinking, uneducated or what have you. your statement that "...more often than not, they (the babies) were aborted because their mothers decided they didn't want them and were persuaded that "getting rid" of a pregnancy, no matter how late-term, could be handled as easily as taking out the trash," is impossible to substantiate. when you saw the light, did God make you omniscient? it amounts to just about the most outrageously presumptuous and personally offensive statement i have read in a good long while. if i've come across as combative at all, it's because i feel publicly "lambasted" for "taking out the trash." here, you were not planting seeds, you were grandstanding. ladies, we need change the conversation. wow! trust me, it wasn't "easy" in any sense of the word.

    but that's the problem i see. you don't trust me--you don't trust your fellow women. i understand that you may think i'm a bit lost--or sorely misguided. that i can handle, even respect. so pray for me. and i can confirm that the seed-planting approach works in your favor, because i am actually spending a fair amount of time weighing what you say.

    i could handle your calling jackie speier terribly misguided. but i feel that anyone familiar with her work, including 30 years of public service despite a violent attempt on her life, could conclude that this is a brave woman who cares about her constituents, and it is her JOB to speak on the house floor--it is what she is elected to do. it seems to me disingenuous to accuse her of spectacle and manipulation for speaking about her personal tragedy...isn't that similar to what you were doing with this blog on january 22? don't be a hypocrite.

    i know...you're right. she's wrong, and has bought into a lie. as did you and i.

    thank you once more for hearing me out.
    i know that i did the best i could under bewildering and difficult circumstances, and that i have already been forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Claudia, there are probably a thousand things I could say to you in response to your accusations, but I can see that you are hurting and maybe even confused,and I trust that with God's help, you'll sort things out. You should know, however, that I can handle any derogatory comment about my past and I won't be shamed into silence again. The Father of Lies would like nothing more than for me to crawl back into a hole and hide what I did, but he cannot shame me into silence anymore. Please don't be a pawn for him by comparing my humble little blog viewed by less than two hundred people a day to a showdown on the floor of Congress seen by millions of people.

    BTW, I'm not a Republican, but thanks for making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before I could say anything more here, I went and reviewed what Jackie Speier said. And then I reviewed your original comment, Claudia. Neither of you described an elective abortion. Ms. Speier's baby moved out of her uterus, and you had premature rupture of your membranes, that did not resolve, if I read that correctly. I don't have the same level of knowledge as Carol, but I am going on what you were told, and that was all you knew, and you get go for a second opinion.
    I mentioned earlier that I had a miscarriage. I didn't spell out the process, but my baby died, and my pregnancy continued. I bled, but did not lose the baby. I needed to have what is called a D&C after spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), which is what Ms. Speier spoke about and you also. As I mentioned, I was upset over having to experience that procedure, even though I knew it was *not the same* as an elective abortion.
    So I don't agree that Ms.Speier was correct to equate abortion with her circumstance. Gov. Christie is not proposing a ban on treatment for miscarriages, which IS what you are talking about. It is not semantics, but two very different conditions.
    Again, I am very sorry for your VERY REAL loss. I don't know if you are Catholic, but I ask my two babies in heaven to pray for their mother.
    Neither Joyce nor I have the power to override the tenets of our faith, even when it would comfort someone to do so. If we explain or defend Her poorly, it is only our human weakness. I can tell you that Joyce is a woman full of integrity, and does not intentionally run roughshod over ANYONE.
    (Hope you don't mind me speaking on your behalf, Joyce) Both she and I will pray, not only for you and your family, but for ourselves, that when we speak publicly, that we will allow the love of the Holy Spirit to guide us.
    Peace,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops! I meant Chris Smith, not Gov. Christie. The news was on in the background, and when I went for the politician name, my brain brought up the wrong one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Kelly, for a heart-felt and helpful post. For some reason, abortion advocates (and I'm not saying Claudia is one of these) will try to equate removing a baby that died of natural causes in-utero to aborting a baby that is very much alive. No one is advocating outlawing a D & C or a D & E for what's medically called a missed abortion, meaning the dead baby is not spontaneously expelled but requires a surgical procedure, which is what I suspect the congresswoman had. I can't tell you how many times I've heard pro-abortionists distort this to be able to continue elective late-term abortions. Anyway, I'm going to put a lid on this discussion now because I think we've said all that we can. If anybody feels compelled to continue, they can email me. I do not share the contents of email on this blog UNLESS THE WRITER SPECIFICALLY ASKS ME TO SHARE IT.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!