Saturday, February 26, 2011

Snowflake Soup

I got hit with a terrible headache today, probably related to the impending rain.  You can always tell when I'm housebound because you'll see multiple posts throughout the day.  Aside from Noon Mass and Adoration and a quick trip to Target to cheer Rebecca up a little bit, I didn't do much else.  We got Chinese take-out for dinner and because Matthew decided he was going to eat with his buddies, there was a lot left over.

A few years ago, I saw a recipe for something called Snowflake Soup.  I found that the best time to make it is when I have some Chinese leftovers.   You need some chicken broth, rice, seafood (shrimp works best), chicken,  raw egg, soy sauce and garlic. Those fried crispy noodles added to won-ton soup are a plus, if you can get them.  A few hours before you want to make the soup, pick out the chicken and shrimp from your leftovers and chop them up to a coarse mixture.  Beat one egg and add the seafood-chicken mixture to the egg.  Add about 4  cloves of finely chopped garlic,  a little bit of soy sauce for flavor, mix,  and refrigerate for a few hours.

When you're ready to make the soup, heat the chicken broth, about 8 cups worth.  Add the seafood-chicken mixture to the broth,whisking it well throughout .  Then, take about a cup or so of cooked white rice, add it to the soup, and then beat it with the whisk, until the rice is minced to bits.  Let the soup simmer and then serve with the crispy fried noodles on the side for everyone to add as they please.  It sounds like a mish-mash, but the scent of this soup cooking is heavenly.  To call it soup is a bit of a misnomer because the finished product more closely resembles a porridge.

Snowflake Soup was on the menu at a local Thai restaurant here, though I've only ever had my own version.  It gets its name because the rice, when whisked, takes on the appearance of tiny snow flakes.  I plan to make some on Monday.  Growing up, we nearly always had soup on Mondays.  Old habits die hard, though this isn't my mother's beef vegetable soup by any stretch of the imagination.

4 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. My husband is the great cook of the family, maybe this will be on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! sounds WONDERFUl and easy, a big plus. One of our household faves is butternut squash soup. Because the store sells the squash already peeled and sometimes already diced, it is also an easy one. My favorite version I have in my doc. files. If anybody wants it, just ask!
    Love new food ideas! (Bob will love that it's soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and please forgive me for brushing over your headache....I know what those are like, and I pray you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, thanks, it was gone this morning but came back with a vengeance on the way to my parents' house. I always tell myself when I get one of these that God must be going to give a favorable answer to one of the countless favors I asked Him to grant, in which case even a migraine seems like a small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!