Thursday, February 17, 2011

Caution and Folly in Philadelphia


I came home from work to the news that three priests in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia have been suspended from active public ministry pending further investigation of charges that they exhibited inappropriate behavior toward minors, to varying degrees.  Of course, no one knows the truth except the priests, the alleged victims, and God.  In light of what transpired last week, I think this is a good step for the Archdiocese to take.  The priests are not charged with anything and quite possibly, they won't be.  However, this at least shows the faithful that the Church in Philadelphia is going to proceed with caution and err safely on the side of children.  None of us wants to see the reputation and character of innocent priests ruined.  Anyone who would bear false witness against a priest would undoubtedly place themselves in very serious moral jeopardy.  But given the track record on this issue, I think the cardinal's actions were prudent.

On another note, a letter to the editor in today's Philadelphia Inquirer urges the faithful to stay home from Mass on Sunday and withhold their contribution to the collection.  The writer advises those "who must go to Mass" to do so in another state, like New Jersey or Delaware.  Doesn't this guy miss the mark completely?  He is urging people to commit a mortal sin and deliberately offend God because he doesn't like the way the Archdiocese has handled the issue.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!  The offenses committed against God were enough.  Why we do want to compound that outrage by encouraging the faithful to neglect their Sunday obligation?

All I know is that last night, the Mass I attended was celebrated by a priest who could scarcely walk because of his debilitating arthritis.  He has many physical challenges, with rheumatoid being just one of them.    All of the men left as soon as Mass was over.  I am never comfortable walking on the altar or in the sacristy, but I offered Father some help putting things away, and he gladly accepted.  In some way, his difficulty in just being able to stand made me think of the other night, when the priest knelt on the floor in front of the Blessed Sacrament, seemingly bearing the weight of all the problems in the Church on his shoulders.  This is quite a heavy cross these man are carrying.   Will we be like the Cyrenian, and take some of the weight from them, or would we be like the Romans, and make a difficult journey even that much tougher?

7 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post.
    I'll keep this in mind during my blog abstinence tomorrow.
    Thanks, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's very thoughtful of you to help that priest. i bet it doesn't occur to most folks to ask if father needs/wants any assistance; it wouldn't to me. i don't know what's going on in philadelphia and not sure i wanna know, but it's great you're letting your light shine in that corner of the world in support of the Church & her ministers. good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, your account of that poor priest is heart breaking. I agree - what a heavy cross they must be carrying. I pray many choose to be like the Cyrenian ..
    Isn't tomorrow blog abstinence day for prayer?

    St John Vianney pray for us.
    +PAX

    ReplyDelete
  4. The three priests haven't been charged? Whoa, I didn't realize that. This better not be a witch hunt. I'll pray then that they will be exonerated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, folks, that I did not see these comments earlier but I went to bed very early Thursday evening. Caroline yes, we agreed that whatever time we normally spend writing and reading blogs would be spent in prayer yesterday. Perhaps during Lent this can become a more regular occurrence, but we'll see.

    My kids even did their part by staying off the computer yesterday, though only Rebecca was willing to pray the Rosary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We know one of the three accused priests. I am not so sure even if they are exonerated that the stigma will ever be removed from them, now that their names and charges are known to the public. The one we know may possibly just have had his long faithful ministry thrown in the garbage. We don't know. There have been falsely accused priests that have been ruined over this. The truly guilty ones will have to answer for all this someday. It is a frightening business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in college, a student at a nearby Catholic high school accused a priest of plying him with wine and then attempting to sexually abuse him. I remember that at the time, no one believed the student and we all rallied to the priest's side. Years later, when the scandal really broke, this priest was one of the accused, except he had ceased to be a priest years ago. I, too, know one of these priests, though not well, and I truly feel for him. However, if he is innocent, and I hope he is, it sounds like he has another abusive priest to blame for his predicament. That's the tragedy of the way this whole debacle was handled from the start. Now, even the marginally suspect are going to have to come out of active ministry until a full investigation takes place. And as I said, anyone who would falsely accuse an ordained priest had better fear for their soul. I can't believe what a sickening mess this is, but I will never abdicate my support for the many good and holy priests I know and love. To me, they, too are victims of this mess.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which reflect true Christian charity are always welcome. Comments which attack the Pope, the Church, priests or other bloggers will go in the dustbin, especially if they are anonymous. Thank you and God Bless you!